Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor asked me about a table he has with three leafs in it. I guess the leafs have bowed so they don't fit good in the table. Anyway to fix this other then making new ones? I haven't gone over there to take a look so I don't know how bowed they are.

Any help I can give this guy?

·
7,222 Posts
Help him to take some decent pictures of the table and details of how the leaves connect and the construction of the top - solid vs ply etc. Show the bow.

Without pictures it will be very difficult for folks to give meaningful help.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I'm with Dave on the pics. Also identify what the leafs are made out of. Plywood/ veneer, solid wood? How were they stored? Closet or under the table?

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Depending on the material, saw kerfs can sometimes be made across the bottom side in the mid section and a couple of 1x2 pieces on edge attached to bring them back close to flat.

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
My neighbor asked me about a table he has with three leafs in it. I guess the leafs have bowed so they don't fit good in the table. Anyway to fix this other then making new ones? I haven't gone over there to take a look so I don't know how bowed they are.

You do not know anything about the table or leafs. You are his neighbor.

How do you expect people on the internet to have any answers.

Go look at the table. What kind of wood. What size the leafs; How much bow. Pictures? etc., etc.

Information needed.

George

·
Registered
26,966 Posts
If he could live with the leaves a little smaller you could rip the leaves into more narrow pieces and reglue them. If the underside of the leaves were left raw wood that might have contributed to the warp. If that is the case you might set the leaves in a sunny location with the underside up and dry that side of the wood out assuming that side is the side with the crown on it. Once you get it flat you could seal the underside with a finish to prevent it from warping again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts