Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I saw a picture today of a table top cut from a slab and the bark was left on the edge all around the top. I would think over time the bark would fall off just from use and being hit now and then how do they do that ?

Bruce.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you look at my gallery of my bar, I didn't remove the bark either but I would not recommend it. People have a tendency to pick at it when they are sitting there. Wanted to remove it but got out voted.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I always remove the bark on anythihng I leave as a natural edge. I powerwash it off and then either sand it or buff it out depending on the species.

With ERC, our most common natural edge wood that we work with, I use a real handy combination tool called a Random Orbital Sander and a Wife. :laughing:

She loves sanding! Is there a God or what! ;)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I've done both, left it on and removed it. If it's relatively solid then I don't really worry about it too much. The epoxy finish I use will hold it on. If it's a little loose then I will gently pry it away enough to glue and put a few carefully placed pin nails to help hold it on. They become invisible in the dark bark.

I definately recommend using the epoxy as stated above people like to pick at it and the epoxy seals it enough they can't get to it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for answering my post I like the look and woodman the bar looks great.

Bruce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts