Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys do for chipped out knots if they were present on a table top panel you were going to make? Do you use wood filler? Leave them alone to become crumb catchers? I've heard that as wood dries, the knots will stand proud. How would that effect the surface and any wood filler that may be added? Any recommendations for fillers (some holes are deep)?

One other question, I've got one board (Douglas fir lumber ) that has a sappy spot , and am worried this will effect how the finish adheres. Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
26,375 Posts
My first choice would be to cut the chipped knots out. If that isn't an option I would color some bondo to the finished color and fill them. Another option would be to use a shellac stick and burn it in.

·
Registered
26,375 Posts
What do you color bondo with?

Where do I find a shelac stick?
The universal tinting color a paint store has in their machines to color paint will color bondo. Some paint stores sell it in bottles such as Cal-Tint. I've even had Sherwin Williams put some in a styrofoam cup for me. You have to mix it in the bondo prior to putting hardener in it and mix the color slightly less red than you need to allow for the color of the red hardener you will add later.

A shellac stick visually looks like a stick of glass and is as brittle. You take a burn-in knife which most of them is a soldering iron with a 1" wide blade like a putty knife and melt the stick into the void. When it cools completely it's good to go. Then if done or raw wood can be sanded and finished over. The shellac stick is mostly used on a finished piece of furniture to repair damaged places. Any place that sells furniture touch up and repair will carry the tools and sticks. Mohawk Finishing Products is a good place to look. Look for "Burn-in"

·
Registered
440 Posts
What would you guys do for chipped out knots if they were present on a table top panel you were going to make?
Rip the boards and remove the flaws.

There are lots of reasons aside from the look. Eventually a great many knots will come loose and fall out, they are a source of warping later on, they cause wood to be uneven as they are harder than the surrounding wood and don't sand down at the same rate.

Rip 'em out and be done with it. Fillers will always look like fillers and the look is really ugly. You will curse the decision to keep them for so long as you have the table.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't really rip the boards down, I'm using fir and if I ripped away all the knots, I'd be down to nothing.

I've come across the tactic of using tinted epoxy to fill knot and table cracks. I think this would look nice. The thing that worries me is cleaning up after it cures. My boards are already planed (I took them to someone else with a planer) so I'd like to be able to clean up any areas I epoxy with out taking away too much wood in the process. Do I use a chisel and then sand? Any one have any tips on removing excess epoxy?

·
Hunter
239 Posts
Epoxy will simply sand off. I usually start with 60 grit and sand down until it is nearly to the wood. Then I switch to 120 and then simply continue sanding the piece as normal. I would suggest taping off the areas around the knot to minimize your sanding.

BTW I would go with epoxy or CA glue in this case. I don't mind the knots and as long as they are stabilized I think they look great.

Hunter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Epoxy will simply sand off. I usually start with 60 grit and sand down until it is nearly to the wood. Then I switch to 120 and then simply continue sanding the piece as normal. I would suggest taping off the areas around the knot to minimize your sanding.

BTW I would go with epoxy or CA glue in this case. I don't mind the knots and as long as they are stabilized I think they look great.

Hunter
Will an epoxy from Lowes suffice, or do I need something special?

·
Registered
26,375 Posts
I can't really rip the boards down, I'm using fir and if I ripped away all the knots, I'd be down to nothing.

I've come across the tactic of using tinted epoxy to fill knot and table cracks. I think this would look nice. The thing that worries me is cleaning up after it cures. My boards are already planed (I took them to someone else with a planer) so I'd like to be able to clean up any areas I epoxy with out taking away too much wood in the process. Do I use a chisel and then sand? Any one have any tips on removing excess epoxy?
Before you use the filler use masking tape and mask around the knot so there really isn't anything to clean up. You need to build the filler above the surface so when you sand it you can sand the filler flat with the wood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts