Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, does anyone know if it is possible to disconnect a motor brake on a saw or immobilise it ...????:icon_wink:

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Usually the brake is just a short across the motor coil that causes it's own reversed magnetic field, causing the motor to slow abruptly. If you wanted to disable the brake you could disconnect the wire from the switch. But again, why????

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i could get away without disconnecting it i would its just that i have dado cutting set for this saw which it recommends that they are not used on machines with motor brakes. which i suppose is to do with the weight or torque on the brake when it slows, In the uk most machines are fitted with them. the other way is if it needs power to work i could put another switch on the saw so it could slow down on its own before applying the brake. whats your thoughts on this....:shifty:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
yeah joasis is right. The spiral adjustment types tend to get loose after continued brakeing, and the stacked heads can do the same and the chippers can make contact with the cutters etc.
i'd say forget about it unless it is a mechanical brake. If it is an electrnoic brake don't go messin with the guts of the motor unless you really know what you are doing.

The other worry is that on an electronic braking system the heavier load of the dados will burn out the braking feedback - which is more apt to happen with stacked dados than with spiral types since the stacked are much heavier. of course the spiral types aren't as good as the stacked IMHO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. i tried knocking power of at wall and it still brakes which makes me think it's mechanical . i only paid £80.00 for the saw so if motor goes i`ll get another . does anyone know any small table saws that are belt driven as most the ones i've come across are direct drive . :icon_wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. i tried knocking power of at wall and it still brakes which makes me think it's mechanical . i only paid £80.00 for the saw so if motor goes i`ll get another . does anyone know any small table saws that are belt driven as most the ones i've come across are direct drive . :icon_wink:
If you are doing that much dado work with an $80 table saw, don't waste time fooling with the brake, the motor will be going out before you can figure how to do it.:laughing: I don't know of any portable table saws that are belt driven currently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts