Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some woodworking videos of making tools out of wood and it occurred to me that I’ve been looking for a 1 1/8” wrench for my Table Saw.

I’m too cheap to spend the money so I’ve been using a large adjustable wrench which is a pain in the butt. I never tighten the blade so much that wood couldn’t handle it and I was just wondering on what wood to use.

I guess I could experiment with different woods and thicknesses, but I’m curious if anybody else has ever made one.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I haven't but have been thinking about making one for taking the chuck off my lathe. Seems like grain direction would be key to keep it from splitting apart.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
Reactions: Sleeper

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
saw it also

Mine has "FREE Shipping" but the total is less on yours, $6.00.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Those are great prices and so much better than the $20 I've been finding.
I just realized that my saw IS 1 1/6". I've been looking for 1 1/8" for years. Since I've been using an adjustable wrench I didn't know what size it was, but I knew that my 1 1/8" router wrench worked.

I guess I could make a couple of them for when the wear out.:shifty:

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I decided it was better to buy the wrench instead of making one.
Wow I'm just blown away that I got a wrench for a total of $6 after all this time. :thumbsup:
Only about 2 weeks ago I almost bought a set of wrenches at HF just so I could have one wrench,

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wal-Mart has double ended wrenched for removing and tightening the nut on the bottom of a ball hitch. One end is 1 1/8" and the other is 1 1/2". Inexpensive, heavy duty, and Wal-Marts are everywhere.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wal-Mart has double ended wrenched for removing and tightening the nut on the bottom of a ball hitch. One end is 1 1/8" and the other is 1 1/2". Inexpensive, heavy duty, and Wal-Marts are everywhere.
I saw one of those at Harbor Freight, but it was a little too heavy and expensive for me to use on my table saw.

My table got pretty scratched up recently from a the head of a screw in a piece of wood I was ripping and I've been really careful of what I put on it these days. I don't want to take the chance of my table getting all dinged up from a heavy steel wrench and that was one reason why I was excited about maybe using wood.

This is the wrench I have been using and its not as hard as my other wrenches although its still too big and always in my way.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Alchymist, Now that’s cool too, I actually thought of doing something like that but didn’t have a piece of metal to do it.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I saw one of those at Harbor Freight, but it was a little too heavy and expensive for me to use on my table saw.

My table got pretty scratched up recently from a the head of a screw in a piece of wood I was ripping and I've been really careful of what I put on it these days. I don't want to take the chance of my table getting all dinged up from a heavy steel wrench and that was one reason why I was excited about maybe using wood.

This is the wrench I have been using and its not as hard as my other wrenches although its still too big and always in my way.

You can go to most any auto parts store and get an open end wrench called a 'tappet' wrench. They are thin wrenches. You can get the exact size you need. If you can't find what you need, order the correct wrench or wrenches for your saw. If your routers take two wrenches, get the proper wrenches. Using a chisel or screwdriver stuck in the fan section of the motor is not wise.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Cabinetman,
That was an old photo from when I first bought the router. It was an open box on clearance without any accessories so I had to use whatever I had to change the bits.
I have since found a pretty good deal for the proper wrenches on eBay.

·
Hunter
240 Posts
This may be too late, but I bought my first table saw used and it didn't have the wrenches with it. To buy them from the manufacturer was about $30 for stamped metal wrenches. I went to a pawn shop and got dropped forged wrenches in the sizes I needed for $4 total.

Hunter

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
Regular open end wrenches may not work

On some table saws there is not enough room between the arbor flange and the motor to get a regular size wrench in there. The flat stamped wrenches supplied with the saws always work.
I think the Craftsman RAS has a narrow gap.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
This may be too late, but I bought my first table saw used and it didn't have the wrenches with it. To buy them from the manufacturer was about $30 for stamped metal wrenches. I went to a pawn shop and got dropped forged wrenches in the sizes I needed for $4 total.
Hunter

I'm with Hunter on this. A few bucks or less, at a Pawn shop or yard sale.
I use an open end wrench, ground down to fit the arbor flats, on my Unisaur, and a box end wrench for the nut. Using a combo wrench, over a open end wrench, is, it gives you a box end to hang the wrench by. My wrenches, hang from a bolt, on the back left corner of my saw, where I have a 4 outlet box, for the saw (110 volt) to be plugged into. That way, when I reach for the wrenches to change a blade, the plug is right there, to unplug. The plug is on a short tether, to keep it from dropping.
This idea, won me $100 from a ww rag.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
.....My wrenches, hang from a bolt, on the back left corner of my saw, where I have a 4 outlet box, for the saw (110 volt) to be plugged into. That way, when I reach for the wrenches to change a blade, the plug is right there, to unplug......
That's a good idea.
My outlet is on the floor, but right now my plug is pretty tight since I replaced it after some sparking recently. I don't think I want to start unplugging it every time I change the blade so that it will stay nice and tight. Tight is better.
I guess I could put in a disconnect switch for safety, but I've never had a problem because it would almost be impossible for the switch to accidentally turn on in it's present location. :smile:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts