Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the trick to keeping my table saw from creeping up in depth as I cut? The saw runs fairly smooth, but it won't maintain the same depth, so cutting a dado is next to impossible. It doesn't have much of a vibration at all, but it doesn't seem to matter. After even a single cut, it can raise itself up by a good 1/8"!

If it matters, here is my saw - not the world's best, but aside from this issue it actually works just fine.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I can't tell by the picture - but most saws have a small tightening knob on top of the main cranks... if you have one, screw it down after setting your initial height and lock down your setting. If you don't have one... well I don't want to be critical about your saw, but you need to think about replacing it.

Sometimes these locking knobs work themselves so loose, they become useless. In that case... turn your main crank wheel until it engages, then tighten down the lock screw.

·
Registered
970 Posts
You may check the inside of the box where the cranks penetrate the walls...those have come loose before and caused movement that you describe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to check the saw when I get home, but I don't think it has a locking screw. I may just have to fashion one. It's an old Omega, which I have since learned is basically an old Grizzly with a different badge. I never found any reference to Omega when looking for information on it, but I found a Grizzly manual for a saw that is 100% identical. So, as someone somewhere else on the forum told me, they came out of the same factory.

I know it's not a great saw, but at this point I don't use it for anything too crazy. Once I pack up and move to my next house, I'll sell this puppy and buy something nicer. Until then, I just need to figure out how to deal with it's problems.

·
where's my table saw?
28,900 Posts
make an index mark on the height knob and the saw cabinet with tape

See if the knob rotates in relation to the mark when in use. Every saw I've seen does have a locking height control, usually in the center of the height adjustment knob. It will either draw a rod out or push the rod inward. There will be threads on the rod and on the inside of the knob OR the there will be a threaded stud on the locking knob....which in your case may be missing. Check that owner's manual for the details. :yes:

See if you have part no 47 here:
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0444z_pl.pdf

·
where's my table saw?
28,900 Posts
key word is "usually"

Every saw I've seen does have a locking height control, usually in the center of the height adjustment knob.
/QUOTE]

My C-Man saw does not have a locking knob on the height control.

George
My Craftsman saws have a sliding push/pull lever., but they are from the '80's. The newer hybrid 22124 has the center knob. The 12" model 68 Powermatic has the center locking knob. The Bosch job Site 4000 has a rotating lever around the height knob. The Grizzly saws have a center locking knob.
I'll bet your saw has one somewhere on it..... :yes:

·
Registered
335 Posts
My Craftsman saws have a sliding push/pull lever., but they are from the '80's. The newer hybrid 22124 has the center knob. The 12" model 68 Powermatic has the center locking knob. The Bosch job Site 4000 has a rotating lever around the height knob. The Grizzly saws have a center locking knob.
I'll bet your saw has one somewhere on it..... :yes:
My saw was purchased new in 1973 and it definitely does not have any locking provision. There is not any mention of it in the manual either.

George

·
where's my table saw?
28,900 Posts
fair enough

My saw was purchased new in 1973 and it definitely does not have any locking provision. There is not any mention of it in the manual either.

George
It must not loose it's setting either OR you would have mentioned it....right?

It probably has Acme threads on the height adjustment shaft like my old '60's 10" Craftsman 100, the gold one, saw had. That one had a trunnion lock for sure.

To solve the OP's issue however, there appears to be a small knob in the center of the larger one in the parts PDF. Without a response from him we are talking amongst ourselves as to a what is there or what may be missing. :blink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
It must not loose it's setting either OR you would have mentioned it....right?

It probably has Acme threads on the height adjustment shaft :blink:
No it does not loose its setting. It does have Acme thread. The one problem it does have is it is difficult to raise and lower the cutting height using the handle on the wheel. It has been this way since new and I just never thought to complain about it. I have cleaned the threads and it makes no difference. Now that I have really gotten into woodworking I would like to solve this issue but do not know what else to try.

George

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
it may go without saying, but, my initial remark is that this is a safety hazard, and should not be used any longer until resolved. right now it may only be coming up 1/8 per cut, but that may change when body parts are near. I would not use the saw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Don't I Feel Dumb...

After reading all of the replies, I went out and took a look at my saw tonight. This saw is a Grizzly GR1022, branded as Omega. You are all right - it appears as though there IS a friction/locking mechanism for the height adjustment wheel! :thumbsup: I missed it because it's no longer an actual knob like it was originally. I'm guessing the guy I bought the saw from lost the knob, so instead it just has two nuts holding the wheel on. Just glancing at it, which is all I've ever done, it appears to simply be the way the wheel itself stays on. I didn't realize that cranking down on the nuts actually locks the height somehow! A big duh moment for me. :bangin: Had it been the original knob I think I would have connected the dots a little sooner.

Thanks for all the help!

·
where's my table saw?
28,900 Posts
Great news!

Now see if you can replace the jam nuts with an actual knob. It will make using it much handier. It's not anything to mess with without locking the height. Bad things MAY happen. It "should be" standard SAE threads, but maybe not. The existing nut will tell you what the threads are. :smile:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Although the lock down mechanism certainly needs to be adjusted or repaired, it is undoubtedly vibration that is causing the creep. It is probably also responsible for wear on the lock mechanism so if you just repair that mechanism, it may return after some more use due to that vibration.

Many imported saws have badly balanced motors. You may want to consider replacing the motor with a better quality one. This would also give you a better, smother cut because the blade would vibrate less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts