Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small shop, and have a mobile table saw. I got sick of all the small jigs, inserts, push sticks, blades, featherboards, pencils, tape measures, Wixey gauge, being in various places around the shop.

I was planning on just a drawer, but a drawer has to be below the rails. That means there's about 3" of unused vertical space, so I put a door on top over a tray. My inserts, pushsticks, extra tape measure, pencils, and Wixey gauge go in there.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi everybody, thanks for the comments! I appreciate it!

Handy spot for those items - well done! Don't weigh it down too much, or at least check to make sure it doesn't throw your rails off.

David
Weight was definitely a concern, with that being the end furthest from the wheels.

I tried to minimize weight by using only 1/2" ply for the sides and the drawer, and only two little strips below the drawer. Even so, I can feel the weight bias when I move the saw around now.

It took a lot of fussing to get it just right, so I have consistent clearance as I slide the fence over it. It's been on there for about three months, and it doesn't seem to have drawn the rails down.

·
Registered
Termite
5,405 Posts
Nice job....I have to build one for mine to store saw blades in. Have a router in the way. Should be interesting...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!

So this weekend, I had lots of blade and insert changes. That was so convenient having that top tray!

·
Senior Something
1,126 Posts
good idea. but if that finger hole is a through hole, then I'd worry about sawdust getting inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice idea. This is the first time in all my years I have seen someone make an extension that opened from the top. Good use of the otherwise wasted space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's been on there for about three months, and it doesn't seem to have drawn the rails down.
You could make a simple adjustable leg using all-thread or a bolt threaded into a fold-down leg ... just enough to withstand gravity ... and gravity NEVER stops working.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.