Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Delta contractor saw which I bought back in 2002 or so. I ground the tip of my finger off with it a few months ago and decided to invest in a SawStop. I have a buyer interested in the old Delta but I'm not sure what its worth. Any suggestions?

-32" Biesemeyer Fence
-1.75 hp / 115v
-Cast iron table extension
-Mobile base (not factory)

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
$300 to $400 around here. Maybe slightly more since it looks to be in nice condition. The newer saws have built in casters, so I wouldn't add much for the mobile base. I bought the newer model for $299 new sans fence since I already had one. Thought it was a good deal at the time.

·
Interested Observer
1,176 Posts
I have seen people ask anywhere from $50 to $800 for such a saw. I have no idea what they sold for. I expect between $200 and $300 would be fair for an 18 year old saw if you help him load it. I expect others may have a different idea of what it should be valued at.

Good luck with the sale of your saw and good luck with your new Saw Stop table saw.

·
where's my table saw?
29,386 Posts
That is almost the perfect garage shop saw!

It runs on 120 Volts, has cast iron and laminated wood table extensions, a mobile base, and best of all a Biesemeyer fence! The fence alone is worth $300.00, the base another $75, the saw $250 for a total of $625..... if you bought them separately. This one is shop ready, plug and play. I would ask $600 to start. You may or may not not need the cash to apply towards the Saw Stop, but waiting for you asking price won't hurt.

If your heart is set on the Saw Stop, that's fine, they are a good, solid saw with the safety feature. Only you know you own limits, and if you may not be able to focus 100% on the operation "at hand" it's a better saw for you. I have operated a contractor type saw for 55 years with nary a nick or a drop of blood.... just sayin'. A SS is a great saw where others may have access to your shop who are not fully trained, an important point often not mentioned.

Those old contractor saws never wear out, mine are 45 years old and run great. about 10 years ago, I decided I would get a third saw. I already had two identical ones purchased new, so I bolted all 3 together for a super wide table surface. You need a good size shop for that and I know several serious wood workers who have done the same. It's not for everyone, however as it take a large footprint. :vs_cool:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/bolting-two-table-saw-together-106889/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have successfully kept all of my digits for 25+ years of table saw use. I was just being stupid in this case. But it happens fast and I'm not getting any younger. I also have sons who will begin using the saw in the next few years so I consider the SawStop an investment in their futures as well. Thankfully my finger healed well with no real damage - just a cool scar to reminder me to be careful out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts