Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy a saw and would be grateful for some advice. I am taking up woodwork but have used bandsaws before and was quite keen to buy a piece of kit I have some familiarity with. However, everyone on this site seems to be much more in favour of table saws. I am planning to make simple pieces of furniture rather than trying to saw anything too sturdy and am not wanting to spend much more than $300...

So what I'm wondering is what the advantages of going for a table saw would be over a bandsaw...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I would say a wider rip capacity. Ease of getting a straighter smoother cut. A lot less tuning, tweaking to get it to cut straight.

It's really only a decission you can make. I personally have both and use my table saw hand over fist over my band saw.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It would be very difficult to use a band saw for cuts usually made on a table saw. As Dave stated, you get a much smoother cut on a table saw, and you can cut down large stock. Not to mention the ease of making miters and angles.

Since you are starting out, look into some used equipment. You should be able to find both saws for under $300. I recently bought a Rockwell 10" table saw in near perfect condition for $100. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Table saw versus band saw

It kind of depends on the nature of the furniture you are building. If you want long true straight cuts then the table saw wins hands down.However, if you are doing a lot of curved work, such as bowed legs you won't have much luck with a table saw. Myself, I would buy the table saw first, as it is generally used much more frequently than the band saw. Ideally having both is the way to go. If you are starting out you can find smaller band saws and table saws, both new and used, for quite reasonable prices. The rub of course is that if you buy poorer quality equipment you may be disappointed with the results. On the other hand, don't blow the bank roll on one piece of expensive gear if you are not sure you are going to use it much.

Good luck with your search.

Gerry

·
Registered
803 Posts
My first machine was a bandsaw but I was building guitars at the time. I'm in the market for a table saw now. I'm lookin' at the Ridgid TS 3650.
I don't want too much saw for me because I have very little time on one.
I kinda like me fingers right where they are!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Bandsaw versus table saw

Hey Corndog I know what you mean. I kinda like my fingers to stay attached too. Read the thread on safety, re: rip guards etc. I have to admit though, I don't use my guards much, and I should.

Gerry

·
Registered
803 Posts
There are TONS of articles about setting up shop for the first time and 9 times out of 10 they say "Get a band saw first"!!!! Yeah, a band saw is a wise investment but first? If you're on a budget, yeah but if I had to do it over again....tablesaw and a good jointer...2 things I DON'T have!!!
......oh and a shop!!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Table saw versus bandsaw

I was doing some more thinkng on the subject, and realised there is one other big advantage that a bandsaw has, and that is thickness of cut.

I am not familiar with the particular model of table saw you are thinking of Corndog, but Rigid definitely makes nice equipment, at a pretty reasonable price, so I can't see you going too far wrong in buying one.

Gerry

·
Registered
803 Posts
What kinda guts??? Pick-ups....Rio Grande. They're in Austin and if they're good enough for Billy Gibbons....:notworthy:

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey man, nothing wrong with getting a cheapo table saw to get you started. Alot of other guys may not agree. but when I started out, I had a $100 craftsman table saw, and made alot of money off of that little saw. Now I have a big delta in the shop, and a couple of the new bosch saws for on the go. But IMO the TS is the backbone of what I do. Try one out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hopefully later on this year i will be in the market for a new table saw, at the moment i have a very old and worn out wadkins, heavy old beast, they dont make them like that anymore :laughing:

But due to UK laws, you cannot buy the real deal over here anymore, so i am thinking of buying a delta from the U.S and importing it over to here.
Seems a lot of hassle i know, but for me its worth the effort.

Table saw verses band saw? Horses for courses, they each have different jobs to do :thumbsup:

·
Registered
419 Posts
The table saw is the backbone of any woodworking operation. By all means, spend more than you think you can afford. You will appreciate this later. You don't neccessarily need a cabinet saw but you will never regret having it and if you do go this route, you won't find yourself needing/wanting to upgrade later. Take teh plunge. Buy smart and might as well get teh dust collector at teh same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Table Saw First

Bandsaw guys will tell you that their saw is the more versatile and they are right, but there are cabinet shops all over the world with table saws and no bandsaws.

If you need to cut lots and lots and lots of curves, get the bandsaw and a really good guide and blade for your circular saw to cut sheet goods.

Otherwise, get the table saw and a very nice bosch jigsaw to cut your curves.

http://www.toolcritic.com/corded-jigsaws.html

Best,

Scott

·
Registered
512 Posts
When I started all I got was portable ( table and Miter saw). and a jig saw and so on. Took about 4 years till I started to upgrade to a better miter saw and table saw then band saw, planer jointer.
To this date I still think a Table saw is the number one piece of equipment as a must have. You can do so much with a Table saw( Even a cheepo) Rip, crosscut, miters taper cuts, dado cuts, half laps, and on and on.
I would sit down and figure out what most of your cuts are going to be and make a decision from there but I would bet you will come up with the table saw as your first choice. As previously mentioned buying used to get both is a good way to start.
Just my 2 cents:shifty:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Yes the table saw is far more versatile to woodworking overall IMHO.

But AFA the Bosch jigsaw, I prefer the euro style barrel grip. I have owned the western style jigsaws but the barrel grip has it all over them again, IMHO.

Dunno if the OP will come back to view the results of his post but for anyone else who reads this and is considering upgrading/replacing their jigsaw I strongly suggest you consider the barrel grip design. the amount of control you have is markedly increased making for less work and a more accurate cut.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Table saw. You can use it for diverse range of cuts. It is more versatile as compared to a chop saw. A table saw is also good for large projects and easier to use where lots of woods are needed.

·
Sawdust Mill Operator
666 Posts
I am also in the market for a table saw. I need a small one probably since I will not ever be cutting anything really big or wide.

What do you guys suggest as far as size and brand?

·
Registered
620 Posts
joj said:
I am wanting to buy a saw and would be grateful for some advice. I am taking up woodwork but have used bandsaws before and was quite keen to buy a piece of kit I have some familiarity with. However, everyone on this site seems to be much more in favour of table saws. I am planning to make simple pieces of furniture rather than trying to saw anything too sturdy and am not wanting to spend much more than $300...

So what I'm wondering is what the advantages of going for a table saw would be over a bandsaw...

Thanks.
It is entirely dependent on what you want to do. A table saw excels at making straight, true, rectangles. Which is what you want if you are making boxes. It does not do curves at all well.

The bandsaw can make straight lines if you need it to, but excels at curves, I.e. Sam Maloofs chairs. It also is safer because the bandsaw can't kick back.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 20 of 23 Posts