Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today I used my saw to make some bevels. Setting the angle using my wixey, I discovered this.

ForumRunner_20130714_230002.jpg

ForumRunner_20130714_230016.jpg

The gauge reads 45.1 but the saw says 44 or so. This has me concerned. Should I be?

·
where's my table saw?
28,898 Posts
Nope, not to worry

The metal indicators are rarely if ever accurate. Your Wixey is the way to go. You can bend the metal pointer over a bit if you want to so they correspond. :yes:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The saw indicators are just a general guideline, not a measurement device....they also adjustable. Trust your squares and your Wixey over the indicator.

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
If I understand the "wixey" tilt gauges correctly I do not see how all of them can be considered accurate.

I believe that many(all?) of these gauges rely on a level "bubble." That means the gauge is measuring the tilt of the blade with reference to gravity.

What is desired is to accurately know the angle of the blade with reference to the saw table top.

How many people on this forum (or any where for that matter) know that the top of their table saw is perfectly level? As my shop is my garage I know that the top of my saw IS NOT level. Properly poured garage floors slope toward the front of the garage.

George

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very timely post, because last Friday, I received the same model Wixey in the mail. Checked my blade on the table saw, and it was dead on 90 deg...happy....so I checked my sliding compound miter saw, because I've never been really pleased with the cuts....seemed to be a bit off.....sure enough, the blade was at 90.4 deg......set it to 90 deg with the Wixey, and the cuts are perfect. Don't know why I waited so long to get one....fantastic little tool.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I understand the "wixey" tilt gauges correctly I do not see how all of them can be considered accurate.

I believe that many(all?) of these gauges rely on a level "bubble." That means the gauge is measuring the tilt of the blade with reference to gravity.

What is desired is to accurately know the angle of the blade with reference to the saw table top.

How many people on this forum (or any where for that matter) know that the top of their table saw is perfectly level? As my shop is my garage I know that the top of my saw IS NOT level. Properly poured garage floors slope toward the front of the garage.

George
From what I understand, it doesn't matter if the table top is perfectly level, so long as it is flat. The wixey is zero'ed to the table and then you check the blade.....if the table is not parallel to the floor, it doesn't matter, so long is the table is flat. The relation is between the table and the blade, not the floor and the blade....but then, I could be wrong.....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

George
George i use the beall gauge , i set it on the bed than on the blade, i have set it in a couple place's on the bed and on the left side of blade and right side of blade and it is on 90 or 45 which ever you are cutting so i guess it could be off ? i don't belive the meter work's off of gravety , doesn't it work off of the bed to blade? you know how they work, zero it out on the bed than the magnet's to the blade , a person has to start some where? i beleve the beall , i set all my bed's and blade's up and drill press using the gauge, seam's to work for me , thanks for reading del

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
From what I understand, it doesn't matter if the table top is perfectly level, so long as it is flat. The wixey is zero'ed to the table and then you check the blade.....if the table is not parallel to the floor, it doesn't matter, so long is the table is flat. The relation is between the table and the blade, not the floor and the blade....but then, I could be wrong.....
OK. That takes care of the table top not being level.

George

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
I'm just a simple guy, and I use plastic drafting triangles. For intermediate degrees, I use an adjustable drafting protractor. Seems to work OK for me.

I must admit though, in using those things, I don't get the thrill and exhilaration of buying fancy tools and measuring devices.

I am with you. I have never seen a woodworking job where a 00.10 degree off makes any difference.

George

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am with you. I have never seen a woodworking job where a 00.10 degree off makes any difference.

George
I'm not so concerned about the .10 degree measurement of the wixey. As you may notice in the picture, there is also a carpenters square being used. The point of my original post was that I am at 45 but the saw was reading 44. A full degree makes a difference.

Never crossed my mind to just adjust the needle.

·
John
3,028 Posts

George

You're likely right on "most" woodworking jobs. I do a lot of old house work. Last week I had one piece of trim about 2 ft long that needed 3 sides angled differently (top, left and right ends) to fit correctly. The Wixey angle protractor helped immensely.
While a 1/10° is likely more resolution than necessary, a ½° over 20 feet becomes pretty obvious. It all boils down to what the job is as to what is needed. :smile:

Reactions: jharris2

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I'm trying to remember but during the set up of my saw adjusting the tilt stop was far more important than the gauge. After the tilt stop was set, then the gauge indicator was adjusted to the appropriate number.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm trying to remember but during the set up of my saw adjusting the tilt stop was far more important than the gauge. After the tilt stop was set, then the gauge indicator was adjusted to the appropriate number.
I'm sure you are right. I did some cleanup on the saw when I gotbit fron CL. I probably misaligned it during the reinstall.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Nothing to be concerned about, trust the Wixey. The "Wixey" is zeroed on the table and then measures the angle of the blade, very accurate. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts