Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a table saw sled after reading as many threads as I could find. What do you think about 3/4" ply so tee track can be added for jigs and such vs. 1/2" ply to get the 1/4" of cut depth? Also, if I use 3/4" would cutting a series of 2" holes to make it lighter and easier to handle cause a problem?

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
If you want to use 1/2" ply, you can get a "T" slot router bit and rout some "T" slots in the 1/2" ply.

Even in 1/2" ply you will have enough room to install "T" track in a 1/2" piece of ply in a sled application. Installing the track would weaken the base of the sled, but with the fence and rear support you would get your strength back. Remember a sled has a kerf sized cut all the way through the base, so "T" tracks aren't going to hurt it at all. The only difference you be, you wouldn't have much material left under the track for a screw to grab onto. You could just glue the track in place, or install recessed t-nut under the base to accept some short screws. You only need a couple of threads to make contact since there are so many screws used to hold the track in.

Mike Darr

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I have 3 sleds and none of them have a t track. Why do you want a track. Holding wood on a sled is very easy and requires very little effort. The fact that the wood sets on the sliding sled and not the table saw makes cutting and holding material much easier and much more accurate.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
I have 3 sleds and none of them have a t track. Why do you want a track. Holding wood on a sled is very easy and requires very little effort. The fact that the wood sets on the sliding sled and not the table saw makes cutting and holding material much easier and much more accurate.

Al

I use mine when cutting miters. It's a nice option to have.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've built a few sleds using 3/4" plywood and they have worked well. I guess I didn't realize I should be using 1/2"! I wax the bottom of the sled and it slides smoothly and easily. I drill 2 2" inch holes on opposite corners to hang on a set of wall brackets. I've never seen it done but it could be that too many 2" holes reduces the friction holdingin place the piece your cutting - I hold mine down by hand though. Might try T tracks on the next one...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Al B that is kind of what I had in mind but I was thinking two tracks at 90 degrees and a fence with a slot in the middle but I like the simplicity of the one you posted.

Any other opinions about using 3/4" instead of 1/2" ply?

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
regesullivan said:
Yes Al B that is kind of what I had in mind but I was thinking two tracks at 90 degrees and a fence with a slot in the middle but I like the simplicity of the one you posted.

Any other opinions about using 3/4" instead of 1/2" ply?
Your right for that style. I'm going to build one that way too. I think it's best for making picture frames.
I use 1/2 in order to cut thicker stock. You'll lose quite a bit with 3/4". I have 3 sleds. one is a small one for everyday use. The base is only 1/4" thick.

Al

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
I am building one similar to the "super sled". It's not going to have the T-tracks but will have adjustable miter fences.
I don't have a table mounted router so the slots weren't perfect but still fully functional.
Heres the you-tube page showing 3 or 4 videos of the set up. Check it out.. I think you'll like it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...242.1622.2j8j2.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.oBke7NYkx68

BTW.. Welcome to WWT & good luck with the project.
..Jon..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts