Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a table saw. The saw is a 70 year old Delta cast iron, that weighs about 200 lbs. The table moves up and down. When it's all the way down there is only about 1/4" clearance between the top and the 3" pulley. I got a good deal on a 3 HP motor that turns 3600 RPM. It has a 4.5" pulley. One of the reasons I got it cheap was the guy that had it said he couldn't find any pulley's to go on the tapered shaft. If I'm doing my math right I will have a blade RPM of 5400. I guess 3450 is what I should have. Is this to fast

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'm building a table saw. The saw is a 70 year old Delta cast iron, that weighs about 200 lbs. The table moves up and down. When it's all the way down there is only about 1/4" clearance between the top and the 3" pulley. I got a good deal on a 3 HP motor that turns 3600 RPM. It has a 4.5" pulley. One of the reasons I got it cheap was the guy that had it said he couldn't find any pulley's to go on the tapered shaft. If I'm doing my math right I will have a blade RPM of 5400. I guess 3450 is what I should have. Is this to fast

If it were mine I would contact a motor supply source and find the right size pulley. Carbide tipped blades, and steel for that matter are designed to run efficiently at a certain speed range.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I'm not an engineer and don't understand all the ramifications, but 5400 rpms seems comparatively high. I'd be inclined to get it closer to 4k. There should be all kinds of pulley options available...have you "Googled" pulleys?

Here's a link that might be useful.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. That confirmed I was doing it right. I'm sure I can track down a pulley if I have to. I just wasn't sure how critical it was to be close to 3450. I've looked at bunch of saws and that's pretty common speed. I also got to thinking, doing Dato's at high speed probably isn't to good.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to fine a 3.23 pulley to replace the 4.5. That puts the blade speed at 3875. I'm happy with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts