Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to get a table saw in the next 6 weeks or so. My budget is roughly $1,000. I can increase that a few hundred if it's justifiable. Space is not really an issue since it will be in my garage and I will be able to run it on 110 or 220. I will initially be using it to help with projects for our new house like built ins in all the closets, storage for the garage and most likely a new work bench. After I get the honey do projects out of the way, I will be able to do other projects. I am new to the hobby still but know I will be at it for a long time so I would rather spend the money upfront rather than upgrading soon.

I have been really looking at the Grizzly G0715P. What other saws should I be looking at?

I will also be looking to get a router in the same timeframe. I know I will need one to do all the trim work and eventually for other projects I will be doing. Again with the router, I would rather spend a few extra bucks up front than upgrading later. I have heard the Rigid R22002 is a solid router and priced well.

Any advice you guys can throw my way would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back on here to pick your brains once I start some of these projects.

·
Registered
219 Posts
With your budget and 220v available to you I would go for a cabinet saw instead of the Hybrid like the G0715. The G1023RL or the G0690 would both be good choices. For a good router, I like my Triton MOF001 it does anything you could ask of a hand router.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice, I will look into both those saws as well as the router. Do you use that router in a router table at all?

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Hey there, I was just at Grizzly and took a look at the hybrid and I have to say it's a dolled up contractors saw. I was not impressed at all. I have heard from other trusted members here that the Steel City
hybrid is a much nicer saw.
No offense meant for those that may or may not have the 715P, this post reflects my personal opinion.
Which according to my wife means nothing :laughing: unless she asks for it.
I came home with a G0690.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thank you for the advice, I will look into both those saws as well as the router. Do you use that router in a router table at all?
Yes I use it in my table now. It works great in a table because you can make bit changes and adjust the height from above, without taking the router out of the table. I am getting an Incra Mast-R-Lift II and PC 7518 for my table and I am going to just use the Triton for hand work.

I have an old SKil 1825 that I was was using for hand work and it died so I have been taking the Triton in and out of my table. I got tired or all that extra work so it was a choice of getting a dedicated router for the table or another smaller size router for hand work. I really like the Triton for hand work, so I decided I to upgrade the table router.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts