Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the market for a new table saw and am looking for feedback on what might be out there. I’ve been to Sears and Lowes and looked at their offerings but have only seen the others on line. The ones I’ve researched so far are listed below and I would appreciate input on these models and suggestions on other models not listed below. FYI I am looking to stay at $600.00 (any shipping included) or less. Thanks,
Craftsman - 21833 (Sears)
Ridgid - R4512 (Home Depot)
Delta – 36-725 (Lowes)
Dayton – 4kxd1 (Zero Tools)

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The sears is a slightly upgraded version of the ridgid and Dayton and is a well reviewed model.

The delta is brand new and looks very promising, it has a better fence than the others but no real history behind it.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Three of those models are essentially the same saw, which has had a fairly well documented history of an alignment issue. It doesn't effect every model, but is tough to do anything about if it exists....something I'd want to check carefully.

The Delta is new and unproven, but it does look to have some potential.

So it really boils down to two models through 4 retailers, or the used market.

Setup and blade selection are key factors in getting any of them to perform well.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It's a good point that if your looking at the ridgid, sears or Dayton models used you should check for alignment issues. However it's been at least a year or more since I've heard if anyone having an alignment issue on a new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan, that is the second time recently I’ve read that the Craftsman is an updated version of the Ridgid. For some unknown reason I automatically regard Ridgid power equipment as higher quality than the Craftsman equipment so that came somewhat as a surprise to me. Admittedly the alignment problem with the Craftsman and Ridgid saws does concern me though it does seem to be a sporadic issue. For that reason, and the highly regarded fence, I’m slightly leaning toward the Delta though I haven’t totally ruled out the Craftsman or any of them yet.
Rbk, I’ve been looking on the local CL but so far really haven’t seen anything much I was willing to buy. There have been a couple that seemed promising but they got gone real quick. I have restricted my search to about a 100 mile radius. I figured that unless it was one heck of a deal by the time I added in the cost of gas I might as well go ahead and buy new. That might not be the correct way to look at it but that has been my thinking on it.
I appreciate everyone’s comments so far and look forward to reading more. Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
The company that made the saws for Ridgid and Craftsman stopped making them. I was told there will not be any more new Ridgid saws. The new Craftsman is slightly different and is now made by another company for them. Do you have 220v available for the saw? If so and you can increase your budget some you should look at the Grizzly GO715P. The Grizzly is a very nice saw and a big upgrade from the others, for not much more money but it really needs 220v.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
The Grizzly G0715P will run on 110 and was plagued by the exact same alignment issue as the others. I had one for a year before I sent it back. Ive read numerous times that that isnt an issue anymore but the same can be said about the Craftsman and the Ridgid saw.

The Grizzly saw does have a really nice fence, solid cast wings, a full length cabinet and a bit larger motor. If not for the alignment issue, I never would have sent my saw back. I loved everything else about it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Maurice Hood said:
Ryan, that is the second time recently I’ve read that the Craftsman is an updated version of the Ridgid. For some unknown reason I automatically regard Ridgid power equipment as higher quality than the Craftsman equipment so that came somewhat as a surprise to me.
Craftsman still had some great woodworking tools available. This particular saw has a larger motor than the ridgid, an arbor lock, a longer cord, an upgraded riving knife, and for the small amount it's worth...a better stock blade.

Also....the 22116 table saw and their routers are top notch.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Ryan, that is the second time recently I’ve read that the Craftsman is an updated version of the Ridgid. For some unknown reason I automatically regard Ridgid power equipment as higher quality than the Craftsman equipment so that came somewhat as a surprise to me. Admittedly the alignment problem with the Craftsman and Ridgid saws does concern me though it does seem to be a sporadic issue. For that reason, and the highly regarded fence, I’m slightly leaning toward the Delta though I haven’t totally ruled out the Craftsman or any of them yet.
Rbk, I’ve been looking on the local CL but so far really haven’t seen anything much I was willing to buy. There have been a couple that seemed promising but they got gone real quick. I have restricted my search to about a 100 mile radius. I figured that unless it was one heck of a deal by the time I added in the cost of gas I might as well go ahead and buy new. That might not be the correct way to look at it but that has been my thinking on it.
I appreciate everyone’s comments so far and look forward to reading more. Thanks
Any other things being equal I would almost always select a Craftsman over a Rigid.

George

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
retfr8flyr said:
The company that made the saws for Ridgid and Craftsman stopped making them. I was told there will not be any more new Ridgid saws. The new Craftsman is slightly different and is now made by another company for them. Do you have 220v available for the saw? If so and you can increase your budget some you should look at the Grizzly GO715P. The Grizzly is a very nice saw and a big upgrade from the others, for not much more money but it really needs 220v.
I think your thinking the old ridgid and craftsman saws.....the new ones are still in full production in both the craftsman, ridgid, master craft and Dayton

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on the replies so far I suppose the Craftsman would be the front runner out of the four I named before. I was hoping that there would be a few people on the forum that had firsthand experience with the new Delta but that apparently isn’t the case. I’m no fine furniture builder and won’t ever be one so with that thought in mind I feel sure the Craftsman would serve me well for a long time if I got one without the alignment issue and at this point that is my real hang up. Just curious but what is everyone’s recommendation for a similar size saw without any know serious issues. I know it is always possible to get a lemon no matter what it is or how much you are willing to pay but I’d be interested in reading everyone’s suggestion on a known good saw at a good price. Thanks again for everyone’s input I really appreciate your time and effort.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
In the 400-600 range, the craftsman/ridgid saw probably has over 75% of the saw purchases around here.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Based on the replies so far I suppose the Craftsman would be the front runner out of the four I named before. I was hoping that there would be a few people on the forum that had firsthand experience with the new Delta but that apparently isn’t the case. I’m no fine furniture builder and won’t ever be one so with that thought in mind I feel sure the Craftsman would serve me well for a long time if I got one without the alignment issue and at this point that is my real hang up. Just curious but what is everyone’s recommendation for a similar size saw without any know serious issues. I know it is always possible to get a lemon no matter what it is or how much you are willing to pay but I’d be interested in reading everyone’s suggestion on a known good saw at a good price. Thanks again for everyone’s input I really appreciate your time and effort.
i'd try a ridgid. 90 day money back satisfaction guaranty and their Lifetime Service Agreement are a good trade off, IMHO, for the c-man features that are a bit different.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
you probably can't go wrong with either of them.....me, i'd take the additional 1/4 hp of the craftsman over the service agreement from the ridgid.....but I do alot of cutting in thick stock.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate everyone’s responses. Apparently at this price point I really don’t have many choices if buying new. I still keep looking on CL but haven’t found anything to my liking there. So, I just saw the Craftsman 21833 on a pop-up ad for $474.99. At that price it may be that I end up with the Craftsman. That and the fact that the Craftsman is 20 miles away and the Ridgid is about 55 miles might just help me make up my mind. I am curious though as to what; if anything, everyone might suggest if my budget was say around $800.00 to $850.00 for a new saw? Thanks again to everyone that has contributed.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
At 900 you can get a craftsman 22116....maybe even a bit cheaper if you buy it through the Ebates site.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
+1 on the c-man 22116. Nice saw with few negative internet comments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts