Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Everybody!

While my Powermatic 66 table saw's blade remains dead-nuts parallel to the table guide slot and to the rip fence at 0 degrees tilt, careful measurements at the front and rear of the blade show that a reference tooth is about 1/16" out of parallel across the exposed blade (maximum height) when tilted to 45 degrees. Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. I've had the saw for many years, and until now I felt I'd maintained it in excellent alignment.

Does anyone know of a way I can correct this... with shims perhaps?

Thanks very much!

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Bill,

I've been meaning to thank you for sending me links associated with table saw alignment. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to shim the table so the blade is parallel to the miter slot at 0-45 degrees, but it's dialed in now. Great information!

Thank you, Sir!

V/r, - guy

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
You now you are the expert!

Bill,

I've been meaning to thank you for sending me links associated with table saw alignment. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to shim the table so the blade is parallel to the miter slot at 0-45 degrees, but it's dialed in now. Great information!

Thank you, Sir!

V/r, - guy
On the surface it sound simple, but I imagine shimming from underneath was a PITA. Front or rear?, left side or right? front left only etc.. How did it go?
V-Rod eh? scary fast I've heard. I've got a few 100+ HP myself. :laughing:
Non CA emission control type. :thumbsup: bill

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Hey, Everybody!

While my Powermatic 66 table saw's blade remains dead-nuts parallel to the table guide slot and to the rip fence at 0 degrees tilt, careful measurements at the front and rear of the blade show that a reference tooth is about 1/16" out of parallel across the exposed blade (maximum height) when tilted to 45 degrees. Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. I've had the saw for many years, and until now I felt I'd maintained it in excellent alignment.

Does anyone know of a way I can correct this... with shims perhaps?

Thanks very much!
I would be very hesitant to start loosening and shimming anything. If your blade is OK @ 90, how is the cut at 45 degrees? What can happen to show some differential to the slot when tilted, is that it's very easy to get an inaccurate measure (front/rear) when the blade is tilted.

If you feel that the angle cuts are that bad and have to make an adjustment, use links for adjustment that are specific to a PM 66. Shimming the table can change the blade cutting depth (if done front/rear). If your blade is parallel to the miter slot in the vertical position but not parallel when tilted, it could mean that the pivot is not parallel to the top. You may have to adjust the pivot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts