1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
A lot depends on what your needs are. I like the Jet better because of the fence it has. Jet is also a respected brand where I never heard of Rexon. Neither saw has very much HP. If you need to cut a lot of hardwood both may give you some problems. The tables are small on both which would make it more difficult to cut sheet goods.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, do the prices seem fair? Is the general worth the extra or should I try and get a better price on it? I missed that one! Thanks for finding it. The other thing I need to consider is my new shop is powerless for now so I will be running off 50 foot extension cords. Will a 2hp be too much to run off that long?

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
extension cords

A 2 HP motor will draw around 20 AMPs to start on 120 V. That's a lot for a 50 ft extension cord unless it's 10 GA. And it will exceed the capacity of most home recepticals and wiring.

Better off for you to change over the motor voltage to 220 Volts. since it will only draw 10 AMPs.
A dryer outlet will have all the power and voltage you will need IF there is one within proximity of your saw. An electricain can make up the necessary plugs and so forth.

Many folks have done that ...with the wife's permission. :yes:

Reactions: chrisgerman1983

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm.. lots to consider. I have a 20a and a 15a breaker that i can run a couple cords off. would a 220 cord have to be a thick gauge as well? or at 10a do you not need the same thickness. Does half a horse make a big difference? I am used to 3hp saws so I am sure either will feel weak :thumbdown: but having my own shop and my own paycheck will be nice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The majority of my cuts will be 5/8 melamine and ripping bevel countertop edging. The edge is tough to cut with an 80t but like butter with a nice glueline rip blade.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
hmm.. lots to consider. I have a 20a and a 15a breaker that i can run a couple cords off. would a 220 cord have to be a thick gauge as well? or at 10a do you not need the same thickness. Does half a horse make a big difference? I am used to 3hp saws so I am sure either will feel weak :thumbdown: but having my own shop and my own paycheck will be nice :thumbsup:
220v will draw half the amperage per hot leg, so the wire can be somewhat thinner....dunno the recommended size, but I'd guess that 12 awg would be fine, and possibly 14.

If the HP ratings are remotely accurate, a 1/2hp increase would be 33% more, and should be noticeable. However good alignment and blade selection are equally important IMO.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
That's a great old school heavy duty saw....prolly 3hp, runs on 220v. Made in Quebec. That's an older fence that's less desirable IMO, which makes the $1100 a bit rich. Like everything, it's really a matter of opinion. If it had a General T-fence (aka Biesemeyer) it'd be worth that price in a heart beat. You could always make an offer, and look to update the fence sometime in the future.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
A dryer outlet will have all the power and voltage you will need IF there is one within proximity of your saw. An electricain can make up the necessary plugs and so forth.

Many folks have done that ...with the wife's permission. :yes:
That is what I did to power the Grizzly 1023 (3hp).
I didn't need to seek permission since we have, for the past 27 years, had a gas dryer. And we just bought a new one in the last year. So that source of power has gone unused until about a year ago. :)

Note: I use a 30 amp rated heavy duty extension cord to run to the plug, which has been redone with the correct receptacle for 220v use.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts