Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new here but I've been lurking for quite a while. I've got a chance to buy a used Powermatic 64 tablesaw with a Bismeier fence for $350.00. The saw seems to be in good shape - although I have actually seen it first hand.

My only issue with it is that it's only got a 1.5 HP motor.

The question is; can I upgrade to a 2.5 hp or maybe a new power source and a 3 HP motor in the future with this saw? I'm a complete newb when it comes to this and I've got no idea what my options are.

Could someone point me in the right direction for some info, or maybe let me know if it's even possible or if it's more trouble than it's worth. I can research it later.

Thanks in advance

·
where's my table saw?
27,857 Posts
based on the manual...

http://content.powermatic.com/assets/manuals/1791229K_man_EN.pdf

The motor mount appears to be "proprietary" or of a specialized design intended for only certain saws. That's going to be your issue...JMO. The manual calls for 1.75 HP, not 1.5 HP...? Why not just use the saw as is, make 2 passes for deep cuts and "make do"? If it won't suit your requirements, then sell it and upgrade to a more powerful saw. It is only a "contractor" saw, not a cabinet saw. You'll get exactly what you pay for. Not worth trying to upgrade unless you find a motor cheap. Try Ebay.

A thin kerf blade will also make deeper cuts using less power.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new here but I've been lurking for quite a while. I've got a chance to buy a used Powermatic 64 tablesaw with a Bismeier fence for $350.00. The saw seems to be in good shape - although I have actually seen it first hand.

My only issue with it is that it's only got a 1.5 HP motor.

The question is; can I upgrade to a 2.5 hp or maybe a new power source and a 3 HP motor in the future with this saw? I'm a complete newb when it comes to this and I've got no idea what my options are.

Could someone point me in the right direction for some info, or maybe let me know if it's even possible or if it's more trouble than it's worth. I can research it later.

Thanks in advance
i use a delta table saw with a 1 1/2 HP and not a problum with sawing anything, the only thing i change to a link belt, that made the saw start smooth, that would be the only thing i would do, and that's not a problum as is. I tray the saw the way it is and go from their, why spend money if you don't need to ? good luck

·
Registered
997 Posts
That is still a big strong motor. I wouldn't think a brand like Powermatic would put a motor in their saw that wasn't fit for it. I think the blade is what will hurt it. A nasty old dull blade will hurt every saw.

I would put that money towards a higher end blade and see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Once you get past a true 1.75Hp, you'll need 220v. Even if you have 220v, the saw's trunniuns and drive mechanisms aren't built to handle much more weight and torque of a larger motor. 2hp is about the most I'd suggest going with.

With that said, with good alignment and proper blade selection, there shouldn't be much that a PM64a struggles with. A good quality 24T 3/32" thin kerf blade should buzz through just about anything without much struggle (Freud LU87, Infinity 010-124, Irwin Marples 24T, CMT 202.024.10, DW7124PT...all great 24T rippers).

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just be aware that the 24 tooth blade is an excellent rip blade, and I agree that a thin kerf would be a preference. Cross cut would require more teeth, and maybe a combo blade with 50 teeth would also work well for general use.
Just my thoughts.:yes:
Bill

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it. If the saw is in as good a shape as it sounds I may pick it up this weekend. I'll update as I get into it.

thanks again!

·
Registered
104 Posts
already great advice just thought i'd add my two cents, I started with a 64 artisan as my first table saw and ran it like a dog until I lucked up on a unisaw, it was an awesome TS and I had no complaints at all! i'm not sure what you're looking to cut but from 3/4 ply and cabinet grade hardwoods to treated stuff for other jobs, I never had an issue. I did convert mine to 220 which only meant switching around a few wires in the motor (and a 220 outlet of course) but anyways I built a ton of cabinets with it. the biesemeyer fence is a plus too, mine had the old tube style powermatic, if i helps thats what I paid for mine without the upgraded fence. i dont think i'd have found something in that price range I could have been more pleased with! hope this helps!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked back yesterday with a couple of questions and never heard back. Got a text this am. saying he'd sold it yesterday. Bummer... Guess it's back to the Craigslist troll.

If nothing else, all this research has helped me quite a bit. I may not be sure of what I want but I'm a lot ore sure of what i don't want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts