Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright then! Can you tell I'm excited about the prospects of a new
table saw :thumbsup: probably not but I am believe me!
So here's the deal, I'm down to the wire here, do I pick door #1 or door #2?
Door #1
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023RL/images/0

Door#2
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0690/images/1

I'm leaning towards the 690 but would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. BUT the real reason for this thread is to ask about mobile bases. What's good, no wait....what's great! I need to be able to move this saw and easily I might add.
I don't want to have to put my whole body weight into pushing this thing around. My small shop dictates that some things must be mobile and unfortunately this is one of them.
How are those Shop Fox bases? I only have two other pieces that are mobile and the 15" grizzly planner has it's own wheels and my chop saw is on a mobile cabinet I built myself so I don't have any workable knowledge on bases.
Give me what you know guys!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Have you considered the steel city 3hp saws. They have some better capabilities and the prices are comparable or better depending on model.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ryan, I haven't. I live pretty close to a Grizzly and I like their stuff.

Ok! MT thanks for the post but you didn't expound on your reasons
why you bought that saw or the base. How do you like the shop fox?

·
7,222 Posts
How do you like the shop fox?
I had the Shop Fox mobile base on my previous table saw. It will allow you to move the saw around. Not the best quality of construction, but that is no surprise for the price.

The screws to raise the swivel casters have magnets to hold on the bottom bumper. This is likely a cost saving measure. Not an issue when you lower the screws, but something to appreciate when raising the screw. I raised mine a bit too much and the bottom bumper came off. Not a problem to reconnect, just something to know since it would be easy to kick this and then it could get lost.

The small size of the casters on all the mobile bases and lack of ball bearings means you will need a bit more effort to move the tool, but you should be able to do this without straining your back.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Ok! MT thanks for the post but you didn't expound on your reasons
why you bought that saw or the base. How do you like the shop fox?
It was on sale and I wanted the router table extension wing. I have a one car garage/workshop so the wider rails were not an option. The saw has worked as advertised since I got it last December.

I usually keep a router mounted under the table with a round over bit ready to go. A lot of my projects have the rounded edge, so this is easy. I clamp my router fence to the table saw fence and adjust as needed when and if it is needed.

I don't move the saw much, except to make small adjustments to the position. But without the mobile base, I wouldn't be able to move it at all. :sad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.