Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
That sheet of 4x8 plywood in the backround in that video was lucky, when I got hit last year it was my stomach that got hit. Now I always stand off to the side when I make a cut, no matter how fast you think you are you will never be that fast. Always think safety, thanks Niki.

Bruce.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes that podcast is a great reminder to be careful. I do my best to keep to one side and not to trap wood against my fence and the blade. My neighbor dropped a piece of lumber on his blade (no guard) the lumber hit the blade, shot back and hit his hand. Needle to say it did real damage and the total bill was over $10K and the lost of two fingers. That is a horror story and I hope it does not happen to anyone else. As I used to tell my troops - "Just be careful out there!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
while it is definatly important to be safe when using a table saw, or any power tool, this video is flawed. He clearly let the board go if not even pushed it off to the side a little. If he carried the board through it would not have kicked back.

·
Registered
304 Posts
jamison - I think your missing the point of the podcast. They are showing what can happen if the board goes sideways, and believe me if it did that - you could not hold onto the board. The whole thing was a demo - that is why they had the plywood set up where they did. As you probably noticed all safety guards were removed from the saw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
jamison - I think your missing the point of the podcast. They are showing what can happen if the board goes sideways, and believe me if it did that - you could not hold onto the board. The whole thing was a demo - that is why they had the plywood set up where they did. As you probably noticed all safety guards were removed from the saw.

Well now that you point that out to me, it's quite clear that you are correct. I have to admit.. that is some serious damage!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you noticed, the guy went and stood on the right hand side, behind the fence because he knew what is going to happen.

When I bought my first "table saw"...that was just a small bench saw, I installed on top of the small table top a large 24" x 50" plywood.

At that time I didn't know nothing about table saws and put the rip fence naturally on the left of the blade just because it looked to me the correct side (and even today I think that the rip fence should be on the left side of the blade).

I worked with this "table saw" for 10 years without any accident or kickbacks...but think about it;

*My hands were never over the blade...I started the feed with my left hand at the front of the workpiece and pushing with my right hand and finish the push with a push shoe.

*If something abnormal happens, I could just pull my hands toward my body (naturally) without even coming close to the blade.

*In case of a kickback, the workpiece would be lifted, turned and thrown to the right side...but I was not there....I was standing on the left side of the rip fence.

Try to make a "dry run" on your table saw with the rip fence on the left of the blade and you will see what I mean.

After talking so much about safety, I'm a little bit reluctant and shy to show you the picture but...here it is...

Regards
niki

·
Registered
174 Posts
What do I think?

I think I'm gonna put my guard back on my saw and
use a feather board more often!

That sort of thing happens in a blink of an eye.

Good reminder , thanks Niki.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was watching that "Woodworks" show on DIY the other night... you know, the guy that's a master craftsman but acts like a deer in the headlights in front of the camera? :laughing:

Anyway, he was ripping some stock... he used a push stick behind and, most notably, he used a basic pencil, eraser-side down at the mid-point to hold the stock to the table during the cut.

Anyone else notice that?

(beyond his rotten delivery, the guy is good... he does more of the contemporary stuff I'm interested in.. it always bums me out that Norm and the NYWS is stuck in the 1800's with his designs..)

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
I don't remember kickback from HS wood shop. But I have experienced it first hand, it buried the work piece into my garage wall sheet rock. I don't want to duplicate that. My saw came with detailed instructions on HOW to make a featherboard for it. I wish they would have explained WHY in the manual better.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I just got a first hand demonstration of kick back about a month ago, it has taken $13,000 in reconstructive surgery to get the tips of my fingers put back together again. That video ABSOLUTELY gives me chills and makes the tips of my left hand hurt. Happened in a split second and all I could think was "What did I just do".

I left the pics linked as to not gross those out that didn't want to see them. They are graphic, these pics are two and a half weeks out. Reconstruction of the pinky and middle finger tip including deep lacerations to the finger nail. Ring finger had a deep laceration across the nail to the bone. Index finger received the worst, complete removal of skin and flesh to the bone, (think hamburger) skin grafts, and lots and lots of pain. I keep these pics hung up by my saw in my shop to remind me. Yes I typed this one handed. I am currently saving for a Sawstop. Hope this can make at least one person aware. I am now 1 month out and all but my index finger are not under bandage. The finger nails are still uber short.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/nate1778/DSC_0051.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/nate1778/DSC_0054.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/nate1778/DSC_0052.jpg

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
To clarify the above, I was re-sawing 3"X1" stock, as I led it through the blade I decided it would be wise to guide it with the left hand as it exited the blade, The wood kicked back and somehow brought my left hand through the spinning 3 hp cabinet saw blade. Didn't even know it had happened till I saw blood squirting out of my index finger................

·
Senior Member KE4TQP
570 Posts
I know stuff happenes but you know that was staged.

Had he been operating the saw correctly I don't think that would happen. The thing that scares me is who is going to see that and get a bad cut or even worse.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Nate1778

First, I'm so sorry to here and see your accident and I wish you fast recovery

Cutting small pieces on a table saw is very dangerous if you don't use some good hold-downs to hold the piece securely.

I gave a lot of thought to "cutting small pieces on table saw" and especially Ripping that is very dangerous....fingers are very close to the blade and without proper hold-downs - it's an "invitation for a kick-back.......and things happen in a split of second.

I have a few methods to hold the pieces down and I even made a dedicated sled for cutting small pieces.

But you don't need a "full sled" - you can make "half sled" that rides in the miter slot...

Please have a look at the post "Ripping small pieces on TS" (in the "Shop Safety forum)

Best Regards
niki

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had he been operating the saw correctly I don't think that would happen.
he was purposley doing this to show the reuslts. he willing operated the saw incorrectly.

and nate recently my thumb slipped and i cut it on my table saw. i still have my thumb i missed the bone so i am very lucky. i feel your pain. its been three weeks and i got a nasty scab and its still bandanged up. i also would love a sawstop i think its a great investment

1 - 20 of 21 Posts