Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nope, sorry to say that I don't use too much on the TS for safety. One thing I do use is a variety of pushblocks. Even if I have the fence set 10" away, I use a push block.
I always, repeat, always wear safety glasses too.
If I'm making a funky cut and not exactly sure of the set-up, my safety glasses will start to fog up (apprehension, I guess). When that happens, I stop, re-eveluate everything before proceeeding.
I always use sharp, clean blades and the table and fence are always waxed. I think that helps in cutting down on accidents.

·
Registered
83 Posts
To be honest, I've never put my saw guard on. I grew up not using one, tried it once and found it to be more dangerous than leaving it off because I couldn't see what the cut was doing. I was always taught to stand off to the side of the board and do so religously. I probably go through more blades than I should, but I try to always keep a sharp blade on the saw. It is worth the price for the quality of the cut and the peace of mind. Back in my twenties I had a kickback happen that knicked my thumbnail. Felt like someone took a 4' switch and slapped my thumb with it. I was lucky and always use pushsticks when in the red zone and will wrap a finger or two over the fence when I outside of it.

I did see a after market splitter that I've considered getting that didn't have the blade guard. it stuck up behind the blade with a set of anti-kick fingers on it. Would keep the board from pinching on the blade, but still allow you see the cut and not have the blade guard in the way.

I totally agree with Rob, always wear safety glasses, most of us only have two eyes and we won't grow any new ones.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't use the guard but I always where safety glasses. A few years ago I was using a tablesaw and a small peice flew out and grazed my eye. Had to have a minor surgry as it left a small peice of cornia dangling.:cursing:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Safety glasses are always on and I have a pair of ear plugs attached to a headband that are always around my neck. I use them with any power tool. They take all of 1/2 second to put in and hopefully it will keep me hearing 30 years from now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always use safety glasses and ear plugs. Both are a must. I wish I could find a mask that didn't steam up my safety glasses. I've used this solution you put on your glasses that is like an anti-fogging agent. Worked well. I need to find that little bottle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Saftey Glasses... Yes.
Blade Guard... No.

Reason: On a cheap TS I was using the guard during a rip and when the guard came down, it hit the spinning blade and shattered. Part of it hit and broke the saftey glasses I was wearing. :eek:

I run my TS (a much better TS BTW) with a bare naked blade. Saftey is up to me, not a tool or part.

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would love to use my splitter but have yet to be able to line it up with my kerf even when using a straight edge against the saw blade. The guard I have used, but not often. I use a full face shield and ear muffs, always.

·
Registered
8 Posts
splitter/guard

If you are looking for a splitter and or guard for your saw, you might want to contact Skytooner ( Lee) on Bt3 central website. He makes and sells these items for a lot of different types/brands of saws, he
may already have one made up for your brand in stock. I bought the
Shark Guard and splitter from him for my saw...I like it and it works great, really easy to use and install.It is a big upgrade from the stock unit that came with the saw and at a reasonable price too! eezlock:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would love to use my splitter but have yet to be able to line it up with my kerf even when using a straight edge against the saw blade. The guard I have used, but not often. I use a full face shield and ear muffs, always.
That is my problem, too. First cut on my cheapo TS, I found it wasn't lined up after I thought it was, and that leaves you stopping in the middle of a cut - something I despise.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm amazaed @ the #s of folks who brave fate...I truely am. I, too, have been around saws all my life...and safety is no joke. things happen faster than you can react..and it's always something so mundane, you pay little attention to it. you all know what I mean, everyone of you..we've all had semi-close to down-right scary close calls. I use the pain in the keesters-of-a-shield w/built in splitter, cause it's there for a reason....and a darn good one. one of the best cabinetmakers I ever knew had 4 fingers and no thumb on this left hand...for years the lack of a thumb hindered him.
please gentlkemen, be careful in your respective shops, hospital visits are ridiculously detrimental to your wallet... not to mention the stay-awake-at-night pain that accompanies the more severe injuries.....;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
A guy at my work got a kickback just this past weekend. He was cutting a piece of oak and using one of those fiberglass push sticks. Said it snapped the push stick in two. The board caught him in the gut but slid around leaving a slight cut. Says he has a huge bruise to compliment the cut. Said it happened so fast that he couldn't have reacted if he wanted to.

My H.S. shop teacher and my dad always made sure we stood off to one side of the work. This guy as well as some others I work with had never heard of that, but have the feeling they will be trying it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my reply was one of the earlier ones. I have a better saw on the way now, and I'm willing to try the splitter again. I got kickback on a friends 5hp powermatic 66 and was convinced that after that, i could do well enough with technique to avoid it again, but I won't be able to hold the stock tight against the fence if I'm ripping it to two inches, and I realize that now. I usually avoid ripping like that, but I need to put together a butcher's block for the wife and it's just going to be part of the deal.

I never heard the powermatic sniff when it launched a piece of panel at me - right below the belt line - left an internal lump for a couple of weeks.

Someone else has told me that they've had several kickbacks from wood that relieves itself by folding together in the kerf after it passes the blade - there's not much you can do to avoid that, so I'm changing my tune.

I didn't mind so much getting hit by the flying stuff, but I don't want to get smacked in the face, and I don't want a piece of stock pulling my thumb into the blade as it makes a u-turn back over the blade on the way to my belt line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
was in a cabinet shop where the guy showed me a couple dozen splinters kicked back and protruding from a stack of solid wood framing material. half inch thick pieces still piercing the 2X a good half inch. in addition the larger part of the ufo (unanticipated flying object) crunched a several square inch hole in the wall. cinder block. thirty feet back. the wood pile was a good ten feet back.

forgot what he was doing, but he does stand to the side.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts