Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Grizzly table saw. there is no model number any where or at least I can't find it. Anyway I have use two small clamps to keep the fence in place while cut something. It works but I would really like to fix this. I took it a part and it seems to be simple. I will post a picture of the saw and fence that is on it.

Any help or advice would be wonderful.

Thanks
Josh

pictures to follow.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I'm not familiar with the workings of the fence, but it looks like a model G1023 from the pic. It's a nice saw...definitely worthy of getting that fence working properly, or possibly even a fence upgrade.

·
7,222 Posts
What model is on the label?

How about removing the fence to take detailed pictures of the locking mechanism. As FrankC stated, it looks like a cam locking design. Not sure what, if anything, is missing.

·
7,222 Posts
I am not seeing how this would lock. Is the spring pin broken?

Can you detect a cam action, as in off centre rotation. As the handle is pushed down, the cam should exert pressure on the piece which would lock against the fence.

I see the wear marks on the cam, but not easy to tell from the picture exactly what is not working.

You may need to disassemble to make full diagnosis.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cam doesn't touch the pin. I have taken it apart and it looks like the C clamp is missing or a pin that would hold the spring. Is the pin adjustable?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think I see how to make it work - you aren't missing any parts, just need to adjust what you have in this picture:

It appears that the pin has a straight slot cut into it that you use a screw driver to turn. Hold the outer ring in place with another screw driver and adjust the inner one. You will want to tighten it to drive the pin in (toward the cam attached to the handle). Once adjusted, when you rotate the handle it should press the larger ring into the fence rail.

If you can't get it to adjust, back out the bolt in the picture (the one painted over green), as it will likely allow you to remove the pin/collar assembly entirely and look it over. I am speculating a lot here without any parts diagrams/prints, but I have dissected a couple Grizzly fences now and think I might be right :thumbsup:

·
where's my table saw?
29,625 Posts
don't know about Grizzly fences but

This is how a Biesemeyer works:

There is a shoe behind the cam which bears against the rail to tighten it down. In your case the round bar may act like the shoe, but it does seem strange, having the spring out in space like that.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The model should be on the label on the cabinet. Try looking up the manual at Grizzly.

http://www.grizzly.com/manuals
There is a manual for the G1023 shown, but it's a different version with a different fence.

You can always give Grizzly tech center a call....they have a history of being very helpful. At the very least, they might be able to point you toward a manual that has your fence.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Typically there's a shim between the cam and the rail. I don't see one on yours so I would see if other owners of that model saw have the shim on their fence, and call Grizzly as well.

I believe your solution will end up being a simple one as there really isn't much to a fence head/cam setup.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone for the help. I will try the easy fix first with adjustment screws if that doesn't work then I will call Grizzly tech support. Thanks again
Josh

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MattS

Thank you for the info. I adjusted the set screw and removed the spring and it works perfecting. I don't have use clamps anymore. I want to thank everyone that gave me advice to try and fix this. Thanks again everyone.
Josh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts