Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used Powermatic Artisan $350

or

New Ridgid R4512 $450-ish (after Harbor Freight coupon and sales tax)

Thoughts and opinions?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photo of the powermatic showing condition...fence....base, ect?
This is a craigslist item. I don't have a good picture or any other info, only the model.

With that said, it is coming out of an area woodworking shop that is closing. I expect it is in pretty decent shape.

What should I look for (besides rust :eek:)?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have attached the photo from craigslist. I see two possible red flags -
1. It appears to have the older tube-style fence, not the Biesemeyer clone
2. There is a lot of crap piled on and around the table saw.

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd vote for the powermatic if its in working condition and you can get it for 250 ish or so. I'd assume (don't know for sure) that it has cast iron wings, and at least a 1.5 hp motor, a nice fence upgrade And you've got a good saw.

The ridgid saw is nice, but I'm not a fan of the wings or the fence.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
If the PM has a Vega or Accufence, I'd go with the PM...especially if it has solid cast wings. You'll give up the riving knife feature, but a good splitter can work well too....a good trade for a better fence and solid wings IMO. If the PM is a PM64"S" with the Microglide fence and steel wings, it's more of a toss up IMO.

As mentioned, a pic would give us a better idea of the PM in the discussion. If not possible, can you give us a specific model #...as in PM64"A", PM64"S", PM63, etc.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
4512 over the PM. 4512 is a left tilt vs the PM right tilt. machines in commercial settings are sometimes worked quite hard, with potentially unseen problems. i was offered a griz 690 that was out of a commercial shop. just working the controls, it felt as though a considerable amount of it's useful life had been sucked out of it (i passed on it).

the ridgid, which if a HD can be found that honors harbor freight's "20% of any single item" coupon, can be had for $400. that's a lot of value for a 10" CI 1.5 HP dual voltage TS with 30" of left tilt rip capacity, integrated dust collection and mobile base, 90 day satisfaction guaranty, 3 yesr new tool guaranty and eligibility for registration with ridgid's LSA (lifetime service ageement: free repairs, parts and labor for life: http://www.ridgid.com/tools/power-tool-warranty )

IMHO, it pretty much comes down to choosing between a new saw that is guaranteed and well regarded based on tests by several WW periodicals or a well used, possibly incomplete contractor TS with a motor out the back and probably no mobile base with a blade that tilts TOWARDS the fence, making narrow bevel rips a bit more challenging and, according to shopnotes magazine, potentially more prone to kickbacks.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Sure is....bigger motor, longer cord, deeper riving knife and an arbor lock are the differences.

So let us know if you get it...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sure is....bigger motor, longer cord, deeper riving knife and an arbor lock are the differences.

So let us know if you get it...
even with those relatively minor differences, my personal choice, if i could get a 4512 for $400 (using a HF coupon) and were in the market for a relatively inexpensive TS, would be the 4512. IMHO, the lSA alone is worth the added cost relative to the linked used c-man. should the used saw motor experience problems, repair/replacement would probably cost any savings between it and a new 4512.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
toolguy1000 said:
even with those relatively minor differences, my personal choice, if i could get a 4512 for $400 (using a HF coupon) and were in the market for a relatively inexpensive TS, would be the 4512. IMHO, the lSA alone is worth the added cost relative to the linked used c-man. should the used saw motor experience problems, repair/replacement would probably cost any savings between it and a new 4512.
How many guys have had a table saw motor go out? That's a pretty small number of people to warrant essentially paying for a 200 dollar warranty...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
this guy did, just today:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/52674

and if the OP is a newbie, does he really need to start sorting out used TSs that may have been mistreated by a previous owner? once some experience is gained, then perhaps upscaling to a larger saw may be desired, but in the case of the linked c-man and then4512, probably not, IMHO, really necessary in a hobbyist's shop.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It's a small percentage of motors.....and warranties are for some guys....but I wouldn't double the price of a tool just for a warranty.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's a small percentage of motors.....and warranties are for some guys....but I wouldn't double the price of a tool just for a warranty.
the price of the tool is not being doubled. the price of a new, unused tool is usually going to be higher than a used tool reflecting the greater value in not potentially assuming the misuse of an inattentive or abusive prior owner.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
toolguy1000 said:
the price of the tool is not being doubled. the price of a new, unused tool is usually going to be higher than a used tool reflecting the greater value in not potentially assuming the misuse of an inattentive or abusive prior owner.
Fully functional used saw with a few upgraded features - 200

New 4512 - 400+ dollars depending on the HD.

I wouldn't buy the used one if it wasn't in good condition...

Looks double to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts