Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am fairly new to woodworking and have a few "newbie" type questions. I purchased this table saw a few years ago when I was finishing by basement basically to rip down lumber and sheets, http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/product-details.aspx?productid=16798&toolview=4#details. Obviously it's not the best table saw, but my questions is how limited is it?

Now that I am starting to getting into some more stuff, I am looking to get a stacked dado set to make some cabinets and some small furniture. My question is what type of dado set should I get, and how wide can I go with my table saw? I was also thinking abuot getting a tenoning jig for it? I've had no problems with the table saw so far, so i wasn't sure if I shoudl be looking to upgrade it yet. As I said, I'm still new, and want to learn how to do all these things before I shell out a lot of money for a good one. So basically my questions is whether my table saw is capable of doing these things, and what woudl I need to get in order to cut dadoes, and make tenons. THanks for any help

·
Registered
801 Posts
T slot miter guage...... SOL on the tenoning Jig....... My Craftsman is the same way... you'd need to mill some barstock to make it work in the slot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Freud super dado set would be your best bet. It will set up to cut dadoes from 1/4 to 29/32", but your saw will accommodate only up to 1/2" dadoes. This set has four interior chippers and a shim set so you can set it to fit your material exactly, not approximately. It's pricey, but if you buy the 8" set, you can use it when you upgrade your saw to something that will accommodate the wider dadoes. The dial-a-width dado?? Stay away.

Nancy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T slot miter guage...... SOL on the tenoning Jig....... My Craftsman is the same way... you'd need to mill some barstock to make it work in the slot.
What is a t slot miter gauge? Obviously I'm guessing it's not a standard 3/8 x 3/4? What would be a good entry level table saw that could accomondate 3/4 dados? Would I be better off just holding off and using a router to make them? Is there any tenoning jigs made for a t slot?

·
Registered
266 Posts
What would be a good entry level table saw that could accomondate 3/4 dados? Would I be better off just holding off and using a router to make them? Is there any tenoning jigs made for a t slot?
What is your budget??? You can get anything from a Ridgid at the BORG to a SawStop or slider. I could recommend the Steel City deluxe 3hp RT 10" cabinet saw with a 50" fence, which includes two free blades and a stack dado set. Now going for $1199.99 at Woodworkers Supply.

035-630.jpg

RIGHT OR LEFT TILT MODELS - INNOVATIVE SURFACE MINIMIZES TABLE TOP MAINTENANCE Harder than carbide, the patent-pending titanium nitrite coating on the cast iron table and extension wings of the STEEL CITY™ 10" Deluxe Titanium Cabinet Saw (right tilt Model 35630; left tilt 35640) provides unsurpassed wear resistance and helps eliminate scratching and corrosion:

3HP, 230VAC, 12A, 1PH, 3,450 RPM TEFC motor with magnetic on/off switch and overload protection. Three-belt drive system - 4,150 blade RPM; 5/8" dia. arbor.
3-1/8" maximum cut depth @ 90°; 2-1/8" @ 45°. 12-1/4" table in front of blade.
50" maximum rip right of blade; 12" left - 13/16" maximum dado width.
50" T-square fence system with rear glide post. 20" x 27" table has twin miter T-slots. Laminated table board includes two adjustable steel legs.
Twin 10" x 27" wings, 40T ATB carbide-tipped sawblade, see-through blade guard and splitter, standard and dado inserts, motor cover, 4" dia. dust port, miter gauge and instruction manual included.
39" H x 82-1/4"W x 35"D overall, including extension wings and table board.
Net weight 483 lbs.; 520 lbs. shipping weight.
Five year manufacturer's warranty.
Imported.

If you have the $$ to get one of these, you'll never be sorry.

Nancy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While that seems like a pretty nice saw, and a pretty good deal, my budget at this time is not even half that. Any other suggestions? Or are they any tenoning jigs that I could use with my current saw, the 3/4 dados although a slight incovience can still be done with two passes or using a router. But if I can't find a tenoning jig to work, then I'll probably start looking for a different saw.

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
What is your budget??? You can get anything from a Ridgid at the BORG to a SawStop or slider. I could recommend the Steel City deluxe 3hp RT 10" cabinet saw with a 50" fence, which includes two free blades and a stack dado set. Now going for $1199.99 at Woodworkers Supply.
Nancy, what do you think of the Steel City 10" TS with a granite top? seen that yet? sounds interesting...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts