Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
no....if they're good blades send them out. If they're junky blades.......toss them and get some correct blades. Throw some pictures up and we'll let you know what we think about the blades

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
You may get more replies to this thread if you post it in the power tool section. this is the hand tool section.

·
where's my table saw?
29,626 Posts
hand sharpening a circ saw blade...

Hello,

I just bought a used table saw. It came with a bunch of used blades. Is worth sharpening by hand?
You may get more replies to this thread if you post it in the power tool section. this is the hand tool section.
Kind of a lost art these days with carbide blades and such. Hardly anyone one still uses the HSS blades that were common in the 60's and 70's. I keep a bunch for what ever reason, but probably will never use them. You would need specialized equipment to set the tooth over, but you could certainly hand file the edges sharp again..... I wouldn't, but you might. :blink:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've sharpened many a steel blade without specialized tools over the last 50 years. Make a setting block out of wood, use a pin punch and hammer. Standard mill file for sharpening and round file for reshaping the gullet. Guess I'm a bit of and antique myself.

I use carbide blades now but can still sharpen the old steel ones if push comes to shove. Also the steel in those old blades are perfect for scrapers and making carving tools.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
There still is a lot of handwork done on blade rework/sharpening.

As Roger pointed out above,the tools aren't that specialized.Desire,a keen eye,willingness to learn some fundamentals about blade/tooth geometry....will see you learning.This learning will have a very positive effect on your understanding of how the cutting process lives and dies.Somewhat irrespective of "how far" you choose to go in the matter.

We have an excellent saw grinding service here that some of my friends/cousins own.They are dang convenient......BUT,there are situations when knowing how to sharpen a blade comes in handy.

I say,learn how to do it yourself and then make the decision on whether to "hire it out"......including carbide.Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts