Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am just getting back into woodworking after several years. I should really get a new 10" blade for my table saw. The one I used to use is old (60 tooth) and I had it re-sharpened once, but don't know where to get that done anymore.

I am not up to date on what blades are good. What blade do you recommend? I do not need the best blade on the market and certainly don't want to open up a debate on the subject. I will use this blade for "finishing" cuts. Ripping never really is an issue (except run out) and I am looking for nice cross cutting with minimal splintering.

Thanks,
Doug

P.S. - I bought a Forrest blade years ago and I returned it. The blade was fine, but I have runout issues with my table saw (Grizzly). I even sent the arbor back to them to true it up and still have issues. I bring it up because, again, I don't need the most expensive blade on the market as I can't benefit from it anyway.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
May I ask why ripping isn't an issue? I'm confused by your statement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey ryan50hrl. I was mostly referring to crosscutting. Ripping on a table saw, even with a less than sharp blade, is not as problematic as cross cutting. As you know, cutting across the grain as opposed to with it can be challenging. I just made a cutting board and I didn't have issues with rip cuts, but had major splintering with cross cuts. So, I need to get myself where I can make nice cross cuts on my table saw again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW....curious....how many teeth are you recommending? I typically use 60 when I am "finish" cutting on my table saw. I suppose more teeth is good for cross cutting, but when I use my 80 tooth I have trouble with ripping....it's too many teeth and it burns the wood. Can't remember my luck with that blade while cross cutting, but I just ran into that a few days ago while ripping.....and I instantly remembered having the issue previously....like I said, just getting back in the shop :eek:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The Freud lu74 is if I recall 60 tooth in 10 inch. It's the only blade I use for crosscutting.

If you've never had a dedicated rip blade....try one and you'll be amazed at the difference. LM75 would be my recommendation there.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
A combo blade is a compromise in both areas. I have one and only use it for junk cuts. It's never going to rip as well as a rip blade, and the cross cuts won't be as clean as with a cross cut blade. All a combo blade does is let you be lazy with blade changes ( no offense ).

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
A combo blade is a compromise in both areas. I have one and only use it for junk cuts. It's never going to rip as well as a rip blade, and the cross cuts won't be as clean as with a cross cut blade. All a combo blade does is let you be lazy with blade changes ( no offense ).

Guess I've been doing it wrong professionally for 30 years!

Thank you, Yoda! :notworthy:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
No need to get personal. If combo blades weren't a compromise....there would be no need for cut specific blades. It's just my.....and all blade companies engineers...opinions.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Nothing personal here...

No need to get personal. If combo blades weren't a compromise....there would be no need for cut specific blades. It's just my.....and all blade companies engineers...opinions.

Do you own this blade? Have you ever used this blade? I own several and get glue line ready rips with all but 8/4 Hard Maple. I also use this blade to crosscut 4x8 A-1 furniture grade veneer hardwood plywood, on my 12'x8' TS with a ZCI and have no tear out. Do you really think I would recommend this blade if I hadn't been using it successfully? I offered my professional opinion and you chose to disagree.

Soo, whatever is working for you in your basement.... is probably what you should stay with. :yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you both for your replies. I certainly didn't want to cause a feud :blink:

I respect both of your responses as I don't do this professionally and have only owned 3 blades for my tables saw, a 30, 60, and 80 tooth blade. I've used the 30 tooth as my milling/junk blade, the 60 (a freud fine cut off....about 16 years old) was used for finish cutting and it worked well, and the 80 I bought thinking it would be finer (same type as the 60 tooth, but more teeth).

My personal preference is a single blade because......I don't really like changing blades every time I need to make a cut :eek:

I do remember years ago I was very close to buying a diablo as I heard good things about them. So, now my question is....why not the Freud D1060X Diablo 10-Inch 60 Tooth ATB Fine Finish? This blade looks like my current old dull 60 tooth....but all silver. Now, my blade says it is more for cross cutting and not necessarily for ripping. Is that why you recommend the diablo about??....50 teeth being a good compromise between the ripping/cross cutting?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
mdntrdr said:
Do you own this blade? Have you ever used this blade? I own several and get glue line ready rips with all but 8/4 Hard Maple. I also use this blade to crosscut 4x8 A-1 furniture grade veneer hardwood plywood, on my 12'x8' TS with a ZCI and have no tear out. Do you really think I would recommend this blade if I hadn't been using it successfully? I offered my professional opinion and you chose to disagree. Soo, whatever is working for you in your basement.... is probably what you should stay with. :yes:
I own the Freud equivalent....lu83 if I recall. So do you own the glue line rip and crosscut blades? Because if not what are you comparing the combo blade too?

Even Freud by their own descriptions say the combo blade will not produce as good of results as the individual blades.

I do choose to disagree, but I'm happy to keep this civil which you seem to be unwilling to do. I'm simply stating what I believe to be fact, which is backed up by the manufacturer, which is a specialty blade will produce a better end result than a combo blade.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Lmao

I would be willing to bet I have owned, wore out, and thrown away more Freud/Forrest/CMT blades than you will ever own.

Like I said... I offered my opinion. Disagree if you like. This is a moronic conversation, not worth continuing. I will continue to do what works for me. Keep doing what works for you!!! :yes:

To the OP, the 50T is a combination blade, the 60T is a finish blade. :smile:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Agreed you probably have, but does that mean the ones in the trash were right or wrong?

We'll agree to disagree and leave it where it's at. My point to the op was if you haven't tried multiple blades...it may be worth your time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a Freud Diablo combo and I love it. I'm not a furniture maker or anything but I have cut glue lines, 4/4 maple for a cutting board as well as plywood and never had a problem.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Noek said:
I have a Freud Diablo combo and I love it. I'm not a furniture maker or anything but I have cut glue lines, 4/4 maple for a cutting board as well as plywood and never had a problem.
Have you used a Freud glue line rip blade before?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Have you used a Freud glue line rip blade before?
No I haven't. I wouldn't mind trying one out but I can't speak for them since I've never used them. I do like the Freud blade I currently
have, it replaced my Oem sawstop blade and has done everything I needed so far :)

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Noek said:
No I haven't. I wouldn't mind trying one out but I can't speak for them since I've never used them. I do like the Freud blade I currently have, it replaced my Oem sawstop blade and has done everything I needed so far :)
My point is that without something to compare it to, you don't know what your missing....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts