Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I picked up a used 10" Rigid TS 3650. It's in great shape overall but I'm noticing an occasional vibration in the blade during cuts causing the cut to be slightly wider in the spot it vibrates. The vibration also makes a definite sound.

This happens no matter how much material I am removing. Both cross and rip cuts.

Sometimes the vibration doesn't happen at all, sometimes 5-6 times in a single rip. Being that it isn't constant I figure it isn't the arbor... any ideas?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
It could be any of the things Scott mentioned. It could also be pulley alignment or belt tension. If you've got another blade, I'd try that first to eliminate it as a possibility.

It's always good to go over the entire alignment, and make sure the blade is well aligned with the miter slots.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Trying a different blade should be the first thing to do if for no other reason than to eliminate that. It would be odd for a blade to vibrate, especially a vibration that isn't consistent.
Ball bearings like those on the arbor can "rattle" at different times as the ball circulate in the race. The loads are applied to different balls as they move around in the race and the "loose" spot can move. We used to have this all of the time in race cars on oil pumps and such and it could be a big deal trying to isolate which bearing set was doing it. You may have to eliminate everything else to really find out if it is the bearings at the arbor.
That "wider spot" where it vibrates makes me suspicious of the bearings making the arbor move slightly during that vibration. By the time that little bit of play gets to the outer edges of the blade it can be noticeable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses fellas.
I'm going to get into the guts of this thing this weekend and see if I cannot find one or more of the above issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts