Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a table saw that has fine adjustments on the fence. I used one in school several years back that you locked the fence, then could turn a dial and get really fine adjustments.

I am in the hunt for a new table saw. If I can get away with "any" saw and then add this fence that is an option. I does not need to be a contractor style. Its not moving any time soon. But it does need to have a large enough area to rip a piece of plywood.

Any and all help would be welcome.

I am not a cheap skate, but I am not selling a kidney to buy a saw.. yet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you will be ripping full sheet of plywood you need a decent sized saw and an outfeed table at least 4 feet wide--

a rip capacity at the fence of at least 24" --48" is ideal---so a full sized saw is best---

The only micro adjusting fence I know of is the Incra fence---I have a Besemeier type fence and never needed more.

I've only know two people with the Incras---both hated them--to fussy and slow they said---I used one of the saws and agreed--but I'm old and like simple things---

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here's a few pics of the Vega's micro-adjust; you can see the dual cams and the adjuster in the first pic. You lock the small cam and adjust to the minute-ness you want, then lock the big cam (3rd pic).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive stumbled on the Grizzly line of saws. They seems to pretty nice. I took a liking to the Hybird contractor/shop saw. The G0175P. I dont know much about the producer of the saw, as of yet. But still reading reviews and going from there. Thanks for the help. The fence linked about is awesome.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Ive stumbled on the Grizzly line of saws. They seems to pretty nice. I took a liking to the Hybrid contractor/shop saw. The G0715P. I dont know much about the producer of the saw, as of yet. But still reading reviews and going from there. Thanks for the help. The fence linked about is awesome.
Grizzly in general has a solid reputation for good value if you're willing to be your own middleman (no dealer, no dealer markup)....each tool is unique, so should be evaluated on it's own. The G0715P has a pretty good track record overall....nice steel t-square style fence, full enclosure, solid cast extension wings, true riving knife, left tilting. Under the hood, it has a similar trunnion design as the R4512 and 21833, and early versions suffered some of the same alignment problems. My understand is that they've worked past those defective units....either way, Grizzly customer service is excellent and will stand behind it. The fence on the G0715P is pretty decent, so you might want to give it a try before considering replacing it, if this is the saw you choose.

Other saws that I'd consider in this class and price range are the Cman 22116 made by Steel City/Orion, the Steel City equivalent, and the Jet Proshop 708490 (on sale for $910 shipped).

If you've got 220v, stepping up to something like the G1023RL or G690 adds close to $500 to the equation, but are heavy duty industrial cabinet saws that represent the top of the classification for consumer grade saws.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Jet Proshop 708490 (on sale for $910 shipped).
I have a buddy, who's a much better woodworker than I, who has that Jet which he bought 5 years or so ago. It's a real beauty and I would highly recommend it. (In the ad, I'm not sure what "less fence and rails" means? You don't get a fence for $910?)

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I have a buddy, who's a much better woodworker than I, who has that Jet which he bought 5 years or so ago. It's a real beauty and I would highly recommend it. (In the ad, I'm not sure what "less fence and rails" means? You don't get a fence for $910?)
Saw only with no fence is what it looks like to me....perfect for someone who has a great fence already, or wants to add a specific fence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts