Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to jump into the world of wood working. I have attempted a few small projects and have decided it's time for a decent table saw. I've narrowed my options down to the Delta 36-725 from Lowe's or the Ridgid R4512 from Home Depot. They seem to have virtually the same specs and features. I'm leaning slightly toward the Ridgid simply because of the offered lifetime warranty from Home Depot. Just loooking for some input here from folks who have experience with either of these saws. These models are pretty much at the top of my budget, at least what I'm willing to spend at this point as a new woodworking hobbyist. Thanks for the feedback.

Trey

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Between those Two saws, it comes down to the delta has a better fence, the ridgid is cheaper and uses a more traditional cast iron trunnion vs the aluminum delta.

Keep in mind there's also the craftsman 21833 which is a bigger motor version of the ridgid.

Given all three to choose from, I likely would pick the delta based on the fence and the mostly positive reviews it's gotten.

The ridgid/craftsman were known to have an issue that caused the blade to come out of alignment as it elevated, but that seems to have been fixed as of late.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That's a great choice too, but for the price your almost the same as a grizzly 715

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Follow up question, do you have a budget max? We may be able to point you at some other good deals if we knew.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
These models are pretty much at the top of my budget, at least what I'm willing to spend at this point as a new woodworking hobbyist. Thanks for the feedback.

Trey

^ Thats for Ryan.

Between the two Id go with the Delta, and thats not from owning either but looking at both in person so take it for what you will. If I had the room for a floor mounted TS and wanted something 'new' Id go out tomorrow and buy that Delta from Lowes. It just looks like a quality unit for $599 IMHO.

·
where's my table saw?
29,386 Posts
Hey Trey

For what it's worth, a tablesaw will last a lifetime. I bought a 10" Craftsman some 50 years ago and it never really died, I parted it out. There's very little to wear out or go wrong. If you get one with a powerful motor, a good, accurate fence that will make your initial endeavor much less frustrating.

In my opinion the fence is the heart of the tablesaw, which is mainly used to rip boards to width, something no other tool can do well. There are other tools that crosscut very well, such as radial arm saws, miter saws and you can make a sled for your table saw that will improve it's crosscutting performance greatly.

So, knowing what I know now, I would aim high., and go for the best possible saw I could afford, even wait a while if necessary. A budget of $700 is near the bottom for a quality saw, another $300 will get you quite a bit more and $1200 will get you a GREAT 3 HP Grizzly.
I have owned a few table saws in my woodworking career and still have all but that first one. They range in price from $500 to $3500 and each has it's own good qualities.

If you get a saw that you are not totally happy with and then want to sell it, you will not have saved any money if you can't at least break even. That's my free advice for Ya. :yes:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I gave the Delta a good look a few weeks ago and was surprised the quality was good and better than any other box store saw. Go for it. Nice fence style. I wish they would make it with a single piece back rail but that messes up the shipping.

Al

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Yeah, it's essentially the delta t2 fence with a two piece rail. I don't think I've ever seen a saw in that price range with as good of a fence.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Another point...they build the delta saw all the way up to 52 inch fences and cast iron wings, so it's upgradable with factory parts of you ever want to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input. Nice to find a forum that people actually respond to a post. I was leaning toward the Delta, you guys are just confirming what I was thinking. Home Depot needs to take a lesson from Lowe's. The Ridgid R4512 may be a nice saw, but all my area HD stores don't have a display model to look at. Heck, they don't even have the saw in stock, I would have to order it and wait for it to be shipped to the store.

I know a good saw will last many, many years. However, being that I'm just starting in this, I don't want to go too crazy and drop a bunch of cash on a table saw, as I need many other tools as well (router, blades, bits, etc). You guys know how pricey good tools are.

Trey

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
I know a good saw will last many, many years. However, being that I'm just starting in this, I don't want to go too crazy and drop a bunch of cash on a table saw, as I need many other tools as well (router, blades, bits, etc). You guys know how pricey good tools are.

Trey
A table saw is one of those tools thats hard to kill. The mechanics are dead simple and generally pretty rugged, so as long as you don't abuse it and its workable out of the box the saw will be around for a very, very long time. I think theres a few guys here still using 40's and 50's era saws.

Somewhat off topic for the post (sorry), but the other tools you mentioned are fairly inexpensive. You can get a darn good router in the 80-120 range, and a starter set of router bits for 20-50. The blade for the table saw is a bit iffier on price though. Learn from my mistakes, buy a good one at the start. Little bit expensive up front, but still cheaper than replacing a $20 blade every month and gives better results to boot. Ive been using the craftsman 50t combo blade and I love it, runs about $60-70, but everybody's got a favorite blade.

Let us know how you like that delta. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger myself on one of those later this week, it'd be nice to see what others think of it

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was a really helpful post everyone. I am currently looking to upgrade from a Ryobi RTS21, and I was looking at the Ridgid R4512. I was about to pull the trigger, and now you all have me thinking about the Delta instead. One of my big complaints with the Ryobi is how terribly inaccurate the rip fence is along with how horrible the miter gauges work. Based on everything here, it seems that the fence is a lot nicer on the Delta, and that certainly gets me closer to happiness.

Did either of you guys end up pulling the trigger on the Delta. If so, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
This was a really helpful post everyone. I am currently looking to upgrade from a Ryobi RTS21, and I was looking at the Ridgid R4512. I was about to pull the trigger, and now you all have me thinking about the Delta instead. One of my big complaints with the Ryobi is how terribly inaccurate the rip fence is along with how horrible the miter gauges work. Based on everything here, it seems that the fence is a lot nicer on the Delta, and that certainly gets me closer to happiness.

Did either of you guys end up pulling the trigger on the Delta. If so, thoughts?
I havent got the money put together yet, but as soon as i have the money in hand im going to get the delta. Funnily enough, you touched on the one thing that makes the decision for me: the fence. The ridgid and delta seem identical in every other aspect, but the fence on the delta seems superior, if for no other reason than the fact that is uses the bisemeyer standard 2x3 guide rails. The ridgid fence probably works just as well, but i like knowing that if i want to swap out the fence on the delta to something like the VSC head, i can

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an old delta ts back when delta meant quality, I'm sorry to say they are not these days. Not to say for the $ it will be just fine. Just remember no matter what make you decide on ,check your fence to the blade and miter slot with a dial indicator and make the appropriate adjustment. A good blade makes a huge difference as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on this table saw. I have definitely decided to go with the Delta, between all the good feedback about the saw and the overall look/feel of it at the store, I've concluded that's the one for me. BTW, Home Depot....you really might want to consider having a display model in the store for folks to look at, take a cue from Lowe's!!

I'm having to hold off on the saw until I have the $$ (come on tax refund!!) In the meanwhile, I did go ahead and purchase a router set. Went with the Bosch 1617EVSPK. Lowe's dropped the price on this 2.25amp fixed base and plunger router set from $219 to $189, plus I had a $25 off coupon and a gift card. I was like a kid in a candy store, had to have it. Bought three bits as well, Bosch 3/8" straight cut, a 3/4" straight cut, and a round-over bit, all 1/4" shank just to play with. I know, the 1/2" shank is better, tell that to Lowe's, cause there wasn't a single Bosch 1/2" shank bit on the shelf. Hoping to the the table saw soon, but no real time frame on that.

Trey

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the Ridgid. It has been a good saw for what I use it for, but I'd really like to have the fence from the Delta. I think I'd give the Delta a shot if I were to do it over, but that saw wasn't made when I bought my Ridgid. The ridgid fence isn't terrible, but the delta is way better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts