Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bunrt up my Rockwell 10" saw today ripping 1 1/2" cherry and am now in need of a new table saw. For background info I occasionally build cabinets and am now building my wife a kitchen table out of cherry. I"m by far from a pro woodworker but would also like to purchase a decent saw that will fit my needs.

I'm willing to spend $1000 to $1500 on a new saw but as always would prefer to spend less if i can get a saw to suite my needs. What do you all recommend I look at buying based on the above? Is there anything wrong with buying a used saw? I would also like to keep the saw 110volt single phase.

·
Registered
27,549 Posts
You could save more money by replacing the motor on your rockwell. You could put a bigger motor on it than it has now. As far as buying a saw, you're not going to get very much power on 110v. Any saw with enough power you won't burn up will be on 220v. You could also get more saw for the money by buying a used saw. The amount of money you are willing to spend you could get a pretty descent used cabinet saw if you look long enough. Chances are the cabinet saw might have a 3hp motor on it which would allow you to rip 1 1/2" hardwoods.

·
where's my table saw?
29,382 Posts
Reactions: Bernie_72

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I too would look into a Grizzly, I don't have one of their table saws but quite a bit of other machinery and it is the best bang for the buck for new equipment. Every one I have has run smooth as glass and very high quality, and they have a great parts department, not that I have ever needed many for their machines, but have bough their parts to fix other Taiwan/China imports

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bunrt up my Rockwell 10" saw today ripping 1 1/2" cherry and am now in need of a new table saw. For background info I occasionally build cabinets and am now building my wife a kitchen table out of cherry. I"m by far from a pro woodworker but would also like to purchase a decent saw that will fit my needs.

I'm willing to spend $1000 to $1500 on a new saw but as always would prefer to spend less if i can get a saw to suite my needs. What do you all recommend I look at buying based on the above? Is there anything wrong with buying a used saw? I would also like to keep the saw 110volt single phase.
Bought a Delta 36-725t2 contractor saw a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. Cast iron table (not including the wings), solid fence and 15A belt drive induction motor that runs off 110V. Plus, I replaced the stock junk blade with a 50T Freud combo blade. I can now cut through 6/4 & 8/4 hardwood like butter. Price:$649 (Lowe's). Way better than my old Ridgid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my Grizzly. Two horse power, cuts oak like butter, and variable speed. Cost under $500. But someone posted great advice to definitely look into the failure of your first saw before losing another.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,985 Posts
110 works for me with a dedicated 20 amp line on my SS PCS.. I just cut a 2" door down to size with no drop in power along the full 80" and that was even with struggling to keep it flush with the fence..beautiful clean cut though..
Might have been easier if someone hadn't used latex over oil paint to keep it from peeling, but oh well..It's a freebie for a friend..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts