Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am without a planer and am looking at putting together a router sled to take care of it for less than the $600 that a planer would cost me. My main issue is the table. What would be the best method for the money to put together a table that is as large as possible (Im thinking 2 feet by 5 feet) and as flat and sturdy as possible. My shop has a concrete floor but I'm not at all sure how flat it is.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
There's no end of approaches to this, But I would consider a solid core door for the panel, placed on a pair of sawhouses. Use winding sticks to ensure it's flat, but they generally are out of necessity. Level isn't totally necessary, but might make the job go better. The "solid core" will probably be particle board, but it will still be plenty stiff unless you're working logs.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I assume you'll be using some sort of raised edges for the extended router plate to ride on, in which case those must be of equal height from the bed/table. I used winding sticks to insure that they were even. The tops of mine are 4" above the bed/table. 2' wide is not excessive, but I'd reinforce the router plate. Mine has 3/4 thick X 1 1/2 high oak sticks across the length of my plate. BTW, I used 3/4 baltic birch for the plate. IIRC, it's 4" wider than the stock router plate and almost twice as long as the bed/table is wide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts