Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Mt teak table has been scratched and bruised. I'm thinking about trying to make a wormhole effect over the whole thing.!? Anybody done this or anything like it? Any suggestions? Thanks to all who reply...

·
Registered
535 Posts
The only experience I have had with distressing wood was with a picture frame my Dad made years ago. He made a beautiful frame, then he laid it face down on the gravel driveway and ran over it with his truck. Sometimes the simple solutions are best!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There are ways to use water and heat to raise damage. I am not really sure how this has done, never done it myself but you might check other posts because it has been discussed before.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have used water to raise the grain with reasonable success on unfinished lumber. I don't know how it will react on a finished piece, or how much heat will help. That I never tried.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I "distressed" a 4" wide pine mirror frame with a length of chain, a hammer and a judicious use of a chisel. Then I used a dark stain (without conditioning the wood). The final result looks, IMHO, pretty good. It's hanging in my living room.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you have an 11 year old boy handy? If so, give him some chain and a small hammer or something and turn your back for ten minutes. Or throw it in the back of a pick-up for a week or two. I've done both of these things and came out with a very natural distressing. Sand it to remove all the sharp edges and splinters and then oil the heck out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts