Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a fun little project made out of pallet wood I got from work. The grain pattern wasn't much to be desired and didn't really pop from the wood (pallet wood was never meant to look great), so I used a propane torch and burned it a little to give it a nice pattern. I was "freestyling" on sketch-up and came up with the design. I was going for a modern design with a rustic finish.

I was originally made to hold a liquor bottle I converted into a candle holder and a wine bottle from me and my wife's honey moon which would hold flowers on our dinner table. For now its serving a different purpose, as a candy dish on our coffee table.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks great as a candy dish. It shows the personal touch in being creative. The assembly configuration is very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. The joints could be tighter, but this is one of my first real wood working projects.

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
I agree, the assembly is interesting. Not all pallet wood is junk. Yours is pine. I find all different species like oak,cherry,walnut, spalted maple, and other indescribable wood. Nice job.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious about the sawzall blade wrapped in a rag? Is that what you used to cut the wood? They do make handles for those blades that don't cost to much, Amazon.com: MK Morse JSHRBC01 Job Saw Handle with 6-Inch Reciprocating Saw Blade: Home Improvement.

I like the torch look to the centerpiece.
Thanks for the insight. Yes I used that to cut the shape of the wood. It's all I had laying around since my mini hack saw blade was dull. I'll look into something like that for in the future.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad you guys like the design. I was going to go with mitred joints but decided those were too plain and wanted something different.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've gotta say, the comments I've got about this thing have inspired me to build another, using another creative design that I came up with. Be on the lookout, I'll keep you guys updated in this thread.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nifty little box! I bet it's the only one like that in captivity. :)

A friend of mine worked for years in a factory that made envelopes. He would take old broken pallets home and make some real nice woodcraft from them. I remember a beautiful coffee table he made once from Pallet Wood. When I bragged on his work he modestly muttered, "oh it's just old swamp oak".

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I've gotta say, the comments I've got about this thing have inspired me to build another, using another creative design that I came up with. Be on the lookout, I'll keep you guys updated in this thread.
Yay; that's the spirit!

And yes, this is a very supportive forum with enough encouragement and motivation to bring out the best in any woodworker. Plus, we LOVE pictures. So keep the projects coming :thumbsup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I've said, you guys have inspired me to build another one. I pulled the wood outta the pile and will take it to work with me tonight to make first cuts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the wood rough cut tonight. Just have to sand and clean up the joints and it'll be ready for glue. On this one, the bottom will be flush with the ends, instead of sticking out on each side like the last one. I had to make it at least a little different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts