Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sawdustfactory said:
Just beautiful. If you get a chance can you post a closer pic of the top please?
Ok I found one. This is the best I could find.

Floor Wood Hardwood Wood stain Table

Remember, no stain cherry. I only use stain when someone makes me.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping to see more of the grain. Cherry is quickly becoming my favorite wood. I'm with you on the no stain philosophy. Let the woods natural beauty shine. Great job with that.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sawdustfactory said:
Thanks, I was hoping to see more of the grain. Cherry is quickly becoming my favorite wood. I'm with you on the no stain philosophy. Let the woods natural beauty shine. Great job with that.
Look for my "no stain cherry stain" thread in my profile to see my method for aging the wood to bring out the best color and grain.

Thanks Al

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Very well done, Al. It looks like the table top converts from rectangular to square. That's an interesting and cool way to expand it. I've only seen where the length of a table is expandable. Nice twist. :thumbsup:

·
where's my table saw?
31,297 Posts
very nice look!

However, I'm baffled by this photo. It appears that the leaf is hinged in the center, and as shown it would leave a gap when flattened out. That wouldn't work well or look right. What am I missing? :blink:

The leaves I've seen are full length .....

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chaincarver Steve said:
Very well done, Al. It looks like the table top converts from rectangular to square. That's an interesting and cool way to expand it. I've only seen where the length of a table is expandable. Nice twist. :thumbsup:
Thanks
The table was a cheap store bought one from china to fill the needs of my daughters home. Then the kids ruined the top on a sleep over. So I made the new cherry top. Then we got the table so I made the skirt and legs. Then the chairs. It is an odd size table and the wife throws fits trying to find a table cloth for it so we mostly use the runner type.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
woodnthings said:
However, I'm baffled by this photo. It appears that the leaf is hinged in the center, and as shown it would leave a gap when flattened out. That wouldn't work well or look right. What am I missing? :blink:

The leaves I've seen are full length .....

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachments/f13/80778d1381460072-table-6-chairs-image-1698548132.jpg
Seems you missing a lot these days. Like thread count on a bolt? The leaf is hinged with Soss hinges. It folds in the center and flips. Then the table comes together storing the leaf underneath. Solves the storage problem for the leaf. skirt sections also fold so you dont bump them with your knees. In the making of the leaf I used a full length section and cut it down the middle so the grain matches.

Live and learn,

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Travico said:
That table and chairs is just AWESOME!!!
Thanks Trav,
It was an exercise in design to build chairs out of 4/4 wood and be extremely strong without mechanical fasteners. Some of the typical lines we see in a chair are not there.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phaedrus said:
I don't understand it either, but I know that there is very specific hardware sold for this type of table leaf.
http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=66492&cat=3,43586,43594&ap=1
Similar but not. The hardware I used had two Soss hinges for the leaf. Two hinges to pivot on the flip and hinges on both skirt sections. The skirt folds up with it. We really like the way it operates.

Al

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.