Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a used shaper, but it had no switch. It's 220v reversible. Bought a switch online but it came with no instructions and the switch labels are in Chinese, can't figure it out, can anyone help?

On the new switch all the lettered numbers are screw terminals so what are the "in" terminals and what are "out" terminals?

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know the brand or model of the shaper. That's why I got it so cheap lol. But it's a cast iron monster! The only data plate was on the motor. That is the wiring positions shown above. Looking at the wiring the top three wires 3=2=5 looks to match up with 3 wires capped off together. The 6 is wired to a Capaciter? the green wire comes off of that toward the switch. The black wire comes off a wire marked 4. The red one is hooked up but it's not numbered. I'm assuming the motor is already wired right. The switch I got isn't a rotatory switch but it is rated for the load. It is Forward Off Reverse. I used my meter to check continuity to see what was what with the switch in the forward and reverse positions, listed above. Basically the switch has terminals on the left that are N1 N2 N3 and on the right C1 C2 C3. The power leads coming in goes to....? Then the motor leads connect to....?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I don't know the brand or model of the shaper. That's why I got it so cheap lol. But it's a cast iron monster! The only data plate was on the motor. That is the wiring positions shown above. Looking at the wiring the top three wires 3=2=5 looks to match up with 3 wires capped off together. The 6 is wired to a Capaciter? the green wire comes off of that toward the switch. The black wire comes off a wire marked 4. The red one is hooked up but it's not numbered. I'm assuming the motor is already wired right. The switch I got isn't a rotatory switch but it is rated for the load. It is Forward Off Reverse. I used my meter to check continuity to see what was what with the switch in the forward and reverse positions, listed above. Basically the switch has terminals on the left that are N1 N2 N3 and on the right C1 C2 C3. The power leads coming in goes to....? Then the motor leads connect to....?
you may have to do a google search for a hook up for that ? I used to have a sears shapper with for. and rev. maybe you could get a schematic ? or if you have a motor repair their they can or should be able to get the run winding's and than for the for. and rev. will not be hard to hook up

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
I'm fair with electrical but the labeling has me stumped.
Try your question on the DIY forum http://www.diychatroom.com/
There's a few electricians over there that might be able to set ya right up.
Good luck & DO be careful. 220 will knock you on yer arse real quick!:eek:
Don't ask how I learned about that:boat:

..Jon..

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd venture a guess that the switch is a three phase device, and the switch info is saying that in one position, terminal N1 is connected to C1, N2 to C2, and N3 to C3. In the other position, two of the connections are reversed--just what you want to reverse a three phase motor.

Don't know what the motor info means, except that various connections of the terminals probably allow 120/240 VAC selection as well as (maybe) reversing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looking at this a little closer, motor terminals 1-2 and 3-4 are probably run windings that can be put either in series (220 V) or parallel (110V). they are shown in the series configuration.

Terminal 5 is possibly one side of a start winding, and it would make sense to be connected to 2 & 3. The other side of the start winding could be 6, but the green wire on it makes me cautious, since green is usually reserved for frame ground.

Assuming the green wire was used (inappropriately) by some previous owner, and assuming further that terminal 6 is the other end of the start winding, then terminal 6 would be connected to either terminal 1 or 4 to get CW or CCW rotation (or maybe vice versa).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well since N3 passes through to C3 in both switch positions, would that say black, and since the others N2 N1 both flip one of them be green?

The main cord coming in is ground to the chasis, I think the green lead between the switch and the motor is misused

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
No info on motor or switch, questionable use of green wire, no pictures to boot and I would say a motor shop would be your best option. Rep ally would hate for you to either get bad advice or misunderstand good advice either one resulting in a burnt motor, switch or both.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
what does the motor plate say about voltages? 220vac or 110/220vac? do you intend to run it on 220vac? are the n1-n3 and c1-c3 all of the possible connections on your switch? does the switch aplerage meet or exceed the motor plate amp ratings?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to ED_H the shaper is up and running!!!!!!:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts