Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some bowls that I turned in the last couple of months. I took them to my local Woodturners Meeting and picked up first and second place in the beginners category.

Sweetgum finished with GF Woodturner's Finish (1st Place)
DSC_8162.jpg

Elm finished with Walnut Oil (2nd Place)
DSC_8165.jpg
20130917_071213.jpg

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice! :thumbsup: I have a couple questions though. whats the size of bowls and thickness of walls?
The sweetgum bowl is 9" wide x 4" tall about 3/8" thick wall. The elm bowl is 6" wide x 2-1/2" tall and about 1/8" thick wall.

Here's an inner view of the sweetgum bowl and elm bowl.
20131125_180614 (2).jpg
20131125_180931 (2).jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Definitely not a beginner any more :thumbsup:

(my personal taste is I prefer the form of the Elm bowl over the Sweet Gum, but I can see how the beautiful figure plays a role)

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'd agree whith almost everyone else. Don't look like a beginner to me or at least not a beginner anymore.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
That's a particularly nice piece of sweet/red gum you found for turning and you did a great job turning it. Too bad your inside pics came out purple. The wood really looks better than that, but that's easy to see from your first pic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I like the elm form better as well. I guess I should put my bowls in the intermediate class in December. I couldn't have done this without all the useful info I get from you all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts