Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a surfacing bit for a router planing sled. I have found a few that are about 1 1/4" in diameter and am wondering if I should go bigger. My router has never given me issues with lack of power before but I'm wondering where its limitations lie. Its a 12 amp 2.25 HP craftsman with speeds from 10k to 25k rpm. Also wondering if it would be able to run some raised panel bits. Thoughts?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have the same one ( although I think they're only selling it in 2.5 hp configuration now). It works great.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
More power is nice, but is also heavier. 12 amps is on the lowish side, but can still do a lot if you're patient with it. The router will let you know when you're pushing too hard.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be a big bit but it wont be cutting at only about 1/8" deep so it will probably be good enough

·
John
3,028 Posts
What bit would anyone suggest to use. Either a straight bit or a dish cutter I think.
That's pretty much personal preference. Gene likes the dish cutters, I use a 2" diameter surfacing/bottom cleanout/whatever else it's called, like this:
Amazon.com: magnate surface planing: Tools & Home Improvement

Power doesn't mean an awful lot when planning, I usually work in 1/64ths at that point although I do use a large router. More because the mass helps keep the movement smoother, at least I think so. That, and my MRP23 has excellent depth control.:smile:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't push hard against the bit. Heat will dull it quickly. If you hear the motor loading down any at all, you are pushing too hard. Buy only the best quality bits. I'd recommend Whiteside. I had to mill 3/4" off of about 100 sq. ft. of old, Janka 1333 flooring, and I kept one bit in the mail back to Whiteside for sharpening all the time.

You can see glimpses of that job on the "woodwork" page on my website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts