Woodworking Talk banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
My planer is old so my knowledge is second hand , in recent times worked with some (mostly retired) pros. they are moving away from Dewalt because of quality down grading, Rigid seems to be their new chose, especially with a lifetime warranty. Anyone have an opinion on Rigid tools?
I've been buying some Rigid tools lately. Originally I didn't trust the brand and then they came out with the lifetime warranty and their pricing was so good that I tried a couple and was impressed with the quality. I also like having the Home Depot name behind them. My local HD has been good to me. Now I include them in all my new tool searches and they have been winning quite a few. I'd rather buy American made but reviews or pricing has been keeping that from happening as much as I'd like. I currently own the following Rigid tools and am happy with the quality:
Table saw ( large shop model)
ROA sander
Palm router

The other Rigid tools I have are as follows:
13" planer (I got this in a trade and have not used it enough to rate yet)
1/4 sheet palm sander, I am not happy with this one. The front clip kept dropping the paper. I took it back.

I'm looking at their joiner now...

Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you considered buying a sturdy older machine and going through it? I bought an 80s Delta 13" and rebuilt it for not too much more than a lightweight benchtop model. Here are some pics:

http://bullfire.net/Planer/Planer.html

Now THAT is a great looking planer...and a great job restoring! (If you haven't done it already you should consider posting that rebuild story on OWWM.com, I know they'd appreciate the work.)

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
ed_h said:
Thanks, Steve. Yes, I posted the link on OWWM about a year ago and got some nice comments.

Ed
I own this planer and I don't think I have even replaced the belts. I don't use it for business but it has been in service since 1986. Have not needed to adjust it either. When I bought it. I purchased it from a tool dealer. They delivered it and made sure it was ready to go on site. I think one secret to my success with the machine is that I don't work it hard with dull blades.

Fine job on the restore. Your good to go for another 25 years. BTW there was a small piece of metal screwed into the underside of the cutter head to insure someone doesn't make a cut too deep. Did you remove it for any reason?

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
305 Posts
BTW there was a small piece of metal screwed into the underside of the cutter head to insure someone doesn't make a cut too deep. Did you remove it for any reason?

Al
Al--

I saw the limiter mentioned in the manual and parts list, but it wasn't present on my machine. Could have been trashed by the PO. I'm typically fairly conservative with my cuts, so I didn't worry about it.

The manual said it was only supplied on single phase machines and reduced the maximum cut from 3/16" to 1/8".

Also, it looks like it only affected the center few inches of the width, so you could take a deeper cut on narrower pieces.

Ed

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Merkava_4 said:
Can you please quit putting that in your post?

I'm getting sick to death of reading it.
Really. Most find it funny and ironic. It's my signature. What can I say I'm a wood snob and don't find any value or merit in using pressed metal tools.

Al B Thayer

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Al B Thayer said:
Really. Most find it funny and ironic. It's my signature. What can I say I'm a wood snob and don't find any value or merit in using pressed metal tools.

Al B Thayer

I find it ironic so many people are concerned about the tools....rather than the craftsmanship coming off of them.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
ed_h said:
Al--

I saw the limiter mentioned in the manual and parts list, but it wasn't present on my machine. Could have been trashed by the PO. I'm typically fairly conservative with my cuts, so I didn't worry about it.

The manual said it was only supplied on single phase machines and reduced the maximum cut from 3/16" to 1/8".

Also, it looks like it only affected the center few inches of the width, so you could take a deeper cut on narrower pieces.

Ed
I think that's the reason it's short and in the middle so we don't take a full width board too deep. I'm Conservative with my cuts too and don't over work the machine or run with dull blades. Did you rebuild to sell it or are you using it?

Al

·
Banned
310 Posts
Ryan50 hri. As an x machinist I love equipment and admire the rebuilding of it but I do get your point. I don't know wether it is correct etiquette to mention names in on this forum but a good friend of mine uses ordinary wood ( usually Fir and Hemlock) and produces some stunning sculptures, check him out on the net.

·
Registered
305 Posts
101 - 120 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.