Woodworking Talk banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
So the big question, what did the OP decide?

On a side note, I decided to check the math... My set of LN planes to hand plane my boards, cost more than my DW735... who knew.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
So how specifically does the lower quality steel affect the new powermatic table saws, can you provide an instance where anyone has had a problem with the steel in one?

Not Powermatic, but a friend with a Grizz planer/moulder, had a gear, or sprocket brake in half. I'm fairly sure it was a steel problem.

As a hobby woodworker, with a budget, and not having $$$ out the wazoo, I can't justify, quality US, German, etc.. made machines. Thats why, I buy old arn.
We used to make some fine machines.
3-4 of my machines are 60+ years old and functioning like new. I wonder after 30 years, how many Asian machines will still be running as well.

Have to go and get more popcorn!

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
I have to say, that this is a hobby for me. That's NetDoc code for "I'm only willing to spend so much!" I just bought a Steel City planer. It is the first planer I have ever owned or used. It's been sitting two days now, all set up, but I haven't had the opportunity to play with it. Day will break in a few minutes. I will go and eat breakfast, start and finish a honey-do, drop off tanks to be filled and pick up the ones already finished. Hopefully, by one or so, I'll have the opportunity to hook up the shop vac and mill some reclaimed oak.

In the Scuba industry we have a phenomenon among divers and especially dive shops. Many think that if they don't own it, teach it, dive it or sell it, then it must be junk. Life is too short to play those games. Your enjoyment in the water does not come from the gear on your back, but the attitude in your heart. Likewise, your skill in the water is based on practice and your attention to detail, not on the gear you happen to strap on. In fact, it's safe to say that too often people throw gear at a training issue. I'm sure I am guilty of that when it comes to woodworking and that many of you will think I have made some unwise purchases. That's OK. Experience comes from making poor decisions and surviving. I'll stop making mistakes right after I depart this world. Still learning after all these years.

·
Registered
268 Posts
:thumbsup:
I have recently moved from Alaska back to TN. I had to sell all of my woodworking tools due to excessive shipping cost from Alaska. I have replaced most of them except the surface/thickness planer.

I have been in the market for a good quality surface/thickness planer. For the last few weeks I have been reading many performance reviews from owners of various makes and models. What seems to be the general drift is that there is something wrong with every planer on the market. From the bench top (12-13 inch widths to the 15 to 16 inch widths). Example: Fine Working magazine gives the De Walt 735 great reviews. Says there is nothing better. Some owners say its a piece of junk. I owned one and my experience was "It was a piece of junk". It would quit running about mid-way through a board. The service center gave me my money back stating that they couldn't fix it.

I once owned a Makita 12 inch bench top and had good luck with it and was almost ready to buy the new 2012nb until I read several negative reviews.

I have read reviews for the Jet 16 inch and the Powermatic 15 inch and some say the Jet belts burn up or overheat after the first few hours of service. Some say the Powermatic has problems also.

Please give me some input about the types of planers you have and use daily. What brand, mode or type would you recommend? Please help.

Thank you,

LiveOakFarms

Have you gotten an answer yet??:no:
Do you see how easy it is to lose sight of the original post?:thumbdown:
Can you understand how some members have such a high post count that may not be helpful to anyone?:blink:

My thinking is that the moderators should have stopped this personal argument a long time ago but,,,,,,,,,,,,,
since they didn't, I'm going to offer my apologies to you for not being able to get a reasonable discussion/comparison from what I had thought was a group of well-meaning people.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
] Can you understand how some members have such a high post count that may not be helpful to anyone?:blink:.[/quote] I think that was meant for me.....huh. [quote="rcp612 said:
I'm going to offer my apologies to you for not being able to get a reasonable discussion/comparison from what I had thought was a group of well-meaning people.
My apologies as well, I still think its a group of well meaning people...just very opinionated people!!!

rcp612 said:
Have you gotten an answer yet??:no:.
Any planers you've narrowed it down to?

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Have you gotten an answer yet??:no:
Do you see how easy it is to lose sight of the original post?:thumbdown:
Can you understand how some members have such a high post count that may not be helpful to anyone?:blink:

My thinking is that the moderators should have stopped this personal argument a long time ago but,,,,,,,,,,,,,
since they didn't, I'm going to offer my apologies to you for not being able to get a reasonable discussion/comparison from what I had thought was a group of well-meaning people.

That is even worse. Who are you trying to suck up to?

·
where's my table saw?
31,679 Posts
Just who did you have in mind as not being helpful here pal? Name names if you're gonna call out someone, and then wait for the mods to step in, if that's a big concern of yours. :blink:

If you have "helpful" advice post it. :yes:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
At the risk of raining on someone's parade. I'd like to see the OP respond to the posts. So many times the OP is long gone and the thread takes a left turn. Back when I used to start threads. I tried to respond to all the posts and keep the thread on track.

I'd like to list some aspects about planers that were pointed out to me when I bought my planer. Lunch box planers weren't invented back then.

How easy is it to change out the blades?

Are the blades high quality?

Table raise or cutter head.

Motor manufacture.

Weight.

Pressed metal or cast.

Hp.

Cutter head speed.

Al

Fit and finish.

Track record.

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Surface Planers

:yes:
I think that was meant for me.....huh.
My apologies as well, I still think its a group of well meaning people...just very opinionated people!!!
Any planers you've narrowed it down to?
Yes, I am seriously considering the Steelex ST1002. It's the only one I haven't read any negative reviews about. Although I have only found three. I have looked for more but can't find any. But I like the looks of the machine. I was considering the Jet open stand but couldn't get a reply from the company about the negative reviews. I wanted to ask the company some questions but didn't want to wait an hour of more for a tech to answer the phone. I left a phone # for them to call me back but the didn't to my knowledge.
Do you have a planer? If so what kind? Would appreciate a response. Any comments about the Steelex ST1002?
I had a Makita and it was a quality machine but I want something with more power. I still have trouble getting the Makita 2012NB out of my mind. Haven't definitely made up my mind yet.

Happy Sunday!!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Looks like a solid enough unit, can't say I have ever seen one before, and the lack of reviews makes me nervous they don't sell many.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I did just locate what looks to be the same planer as the steelex, under the woodtek name, but no reviews this time. It had an open stand vs the closed cabinet. The price looks decent.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
LiveOakFarms

That planer looks like a carbon copy of my Delta. I bought mine over 20 years ago and haven't had to repair anything. In fact it looks like an exact copy right down to the little piece of steel just under the cutting head that discourages aggressive cuts. I like the head moving and the table stationary. Knives come out fairly easy. All the castings look like they came out of the same mold. It also looks like they have ties to Shop Fox.

Al

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have a 6 yr old delta X that I bought barely used. It looks the same. Great machine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
LiveOakFarms

That planer looks like a carbon copy of my Delta. I bought mine over 20 years ago and haven't had to repair anything. In fact it looks like an exact copy right down to the little piece of steel just under the cutting head that discourages aggressive cuts. I like the head moving and the table stationary. Knives come out fairly easy. All the castings look like they came out of the same mold. It also looks like they have ties to Shop Fox.

Al

They are both Woodstock companies:
http://www.woodstockint.com/woodstock-brands
I thought the same people who own Shop Fox also owns Grizzly, but I have not found confirmation.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Would it be okay to discuss cutter head styles. I've been looking into segmented heads. Anyone have the goods on them?

Al

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Al B Thayer said:
Would it be okay to discuss cutter head styles. I've been looking into segmented heads. Anyone have the goods on them?

Al

Helical heads are quieter, and if you get nick in one, you don't have to pull all the knives.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Helical heads are quieter, and if you get nick in one, you don't have to pull all the knives.
and

• The blades are four sided, so you can just turn to a new side when dull. Thus, you don’t have to replace until all for sides are used up.
  • You can get them in carbide, so they don’t dull quickly.
  • You don’t have to adjust the blades, they just screw in place.
  • Cost about 500 to 600 more than conventional blades.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.