Woodworking Talk banner
61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
310 Posts
Let me reiterate what I said before. In working life an aerospace engine machinist, Inspector, repair instruction writer, had the best equipment , used the best equipment including CNC Lathes, Mills,Plasms cutters etc.and wouldn't have had it any other way. Now retired and living on a pension. My Planer is an old Craftsman, my scroll saw is an old Delta, my TS a Delta, my Jointer is a Delta, my Compound Mitre saw is Mastercraft (any Canadian knows the quality of Can/Tire) .Are they what I would have as choice, no, they are what I can afford and what I have room for, nor would I have them if I was a professional, but would I suggest to anyone starting woodwork as a hobby to wait until they can afford high end professional equipment, never.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
I would pay it. You would be supporting a US business, that employed US labor force where the profits stayed right here in the US. No outsourcing cheap labor and materials to garner a profit that way.

I would gladly pay what I pay for my Festools from a US manufacturer, if one would step up and do the right thing.
But you said it was about quality....that's my point. Your making those recommendations based on national pride not on the merits of the machine.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If any of the moderators are watching this thread I just want you to know that it took all the self control that I have to not respond to this. If I did I figure I would get a warning because it could only be called political!
Tom
Sure is too bad somebody cannot ask about planers without getting into a p!$$ing match. If you are going to use it as a weekend warrior a lunchbox is fine- 2 tons of beautiful steel will not be necessary, affordable nor will it improve your work. Buy the the dewalt and spend the extra money on some nice walnut or cherry.

Guys- we are supposed to be able to be friendly lets all try............. and smile- life is too short for this BS.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
TOMC, I quoted you cause I agreed- just wanted to make sure you realized that.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
mike1950 said:
If you are going to use it as a weekend warrior a lunchbox is fine- 2 tons of beautiful steel will not be necessary, affordable nor will it improve your work. Buy the the dewalt and spend the extra money on some nice walnut or cherry..
Agreed!!!!

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Just read through some of the posts. Personally, I have mostly commercial grade tools. (it's a hobby) I don't expect all woodworkers to buy like I did. But it does bug me when cheap tool owners think their tool is just as good. Or when they need help when their saw won't cut straight and can't seem to be tuned to correct the problem. But I will say. Cheap tools do cut better than they did 20 years ago. Just not for very long.

Something that has been overlooked as a means to purchase quality tools is financing. We don't even think twice about buying a car or truck for $25,000 or more and finance the whole amount. Only to see it drop in value. Put that money into a table saw, jointer and nice sized planer and in 5 years it will be worth the same or more. I bought my Unisaw for $1900 over 25 years ago. That saw costs almost twice that amount. Nothing has been replaced or repaired. I know people that spend more each month on cigarettes.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Against what 10's of thousands sold? Maybe more?
Are you in a committed relationship with Grizzly?

A few posts ago you wanted some proof, you said there are a bunch of guys here with these saws.

Seems lots come here because they have problems with their stuff.

It must hurt your feelings or something.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Repeat Iwas enjoying this Webb sight but not for pro American/ anti others politics , maybe time to move else where, people who blog are usually looking for help and ideas not Rah Rah political rhetoric. Maybe time to move on.

·
where's my table saw?
31,950 Posts
a different pouint of view here

I bought a lunch box Ryobi 13" planer. Used it twice. It's OK.
I have a 12" Foley Belsaw planer, used it hundreds of times, mostly cast iron and sturdy, sounds like a freight train when running, but planes smooth. I have a jet 15" planer, nice cast iron, 3 Hp runs smooth, planes smooth. I have a grizzly 20" 5 HP, used it once ....so far ... no room to really use it right now.

If I were to spend 8 hrs a day milling, planing and joining wood for a living I'd want the heaviest, most reliable and powerful machines I could AFFORD. If that meant buying old 3 phase machines and restoring them, that's what I'd do.

The 25 yr old Foley Belsaw was $300 like new, never operated and needed a new $200 Baldor motor. The Ryobi I bought on a whim on sale for taking to the job site...$200. The Jet was to be a "replacement" for the Foley, but it won't die, about $1200 on sale. The 20" Grizzly was on sale for about $1900.

To me it depends on 2 things, the budget and the type and duration of use, which may include portabilty. For example, my buddy who makes a living making raised panel doors 8 to 10 hours per day has only old cast iron, 3 phase machines, and really knows how to use and maintain them.

I appreciate the "buy American" idea, but it's hard to put that into practice in this "global" economy with even the trusted name brands being made/assembled in Mexico and other exotic places.
To each his own I guess.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Are you in a committed relationship with Grizzly?

A few posts ago you wanted some proof, you said there are a bunch of guys here with these saws.

Seems lots come here because they have problems with their stuff.

It must hurt your feelings or something.

Nope.....I don't have a single grizzly piece.

I wanted proof that poor steel or bad bearings are the cause of problems with Asian tools......not that someone didn't read the owners manual or used a crappy blade. You probably don't hear as many complaints about old iron brands any more.....cause you can't buy a new one. I bet the guys on this website have grizzly, jet or shop fox stuff 100 to 1 on the old iron stuff........

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Alright......Well i'm going to say to the OP.....buy whatever fits your needs and budget. If you have specific models in mind, feel free to bounce them off of everyone........other than that.....i'm out on this one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Asian made products can be of hit or miss quality.

Depending on the vendor and product type. The company that I used to work for was in the process of off-shoring the manufacture of our server and storage hardware. As we progressed through the process the plastic and the sheet metal improved. So quality is what you ask for when manufacturing in Asia.

The Saw stop is made in Taiwan to the specifications of Saw Stop, it is a good piece of equipment that I would love to own and most folks would like. The majority of the profit on that product would stay in the US and they do final assembly here as well which creates jobs etc.

the other thing to consider is the ecosystem that is built up around manufacturing centers. If you look at the detroit network effects (as GM et al. cratered the ancillary business failed as well) as the typical case study you see that large centers of industrial production there will be supporting businesses created. In the US given that all of the heavy industry has left (for a variety of reasons, one of the most important being the cost of labor) there are no supporting businesses that would supply components. This creates serious supply chain and logistics challenges as well increases costs.

Asia is where most of these eco-systems have migrated to, particularly in things like electronics, and thus all of the integration etc. happens there.

And lastly don't discount the nimby effect in running manufacturing out of the US, here in CA we are the largest consumer of gas, but due to nimbyism have not had a new oil refinery opened in decades, thus we have a long supply chain and pay a large amount for gas.

61 - 80 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.