Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You are the first person that I have ever heard say the DeWalt 735 is a piece of junk. I have one. A year ago I bought a used Delta 15" planer but I still have my 735 and I have no intentions of getting rid of it!
Tom

·
Registered
268 Posts
Let me begin by stating that this is my personal take on the subject of shopping by reviews.
Most of my life I've been a non-conformist. I use, buy, and endorse products as honestly as possible, drawing from my real life experiences with those products.
That being said, I feel reviews need to be weighed carefully, because, just like elections, the majority always wins.
How many Dewalt 735's have been commented on as compared to any other brand?
I think most buyers end up buying the most popular brand instead of researching the actual differences between brands, and/or needs.
I believe I'll be the 2nd in this thread to say I have the Rigid R4330, bought when first released in 2007 I believe, and am totally happy with it.
The fact that it has no cutter head lock has not given me any problems although many people point that out as the biggest problem with it, even though, I think they are just repeating what they have heard, not actually experienced.
I guess what I'm trying to say is,,,,get the planer YOU want based on your personal needs and/or budget, and I'm sure you will be posting positive reviews about whichever model you buy.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
You could not pay me to have a lunch box or import machine.
All your festool pieces are imports....I believe you wanted to say you won't have an Asian import tool....

It's funny how Japanese cars were looked at in the 80's, versus today....makes me wonder if the same thing is happening with tools.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
All your festool pieces are imports....I believe you wanted to say you won't have an Asian import tool....

It's funny how Japanese cars were looked at in the 80's, versus today....makes me wonder if the same thing is happening with tools.
That's strange. I thought Japanese cars were well regarded in the 80's and the US manufactures had the issue. I know I bough an 82 Accord and talked to several dealerships and had to get on a waiting list to get my car they were in such high demand. I will say I believe the U S manufactures got the message and now produce a better product than in the 80's.
Tom

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts

Yeah, asian machines would be the correct wording, because I can't afford a new Martin planer.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I find it odd, some imports are ok while others not? So im guessing your ok with festool based on quality....what about powermatic tablesaws? They're great quality but imported from Asia?

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
I find it odd, some imports are ok while others not? So im guessing your ok with festool based on quality....what about powermatic tablesaws? They're great quality but imported from Asia?
No pacific rim or asian machines or tools for me.

Not a big powermatic fan, but I would not consider anything they made in asia.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
No pacific rim or asian machines or tools for me.

Not a big powermatic fan, but I would not consider anything they made in asia.
So I'm not trying to start a big thing here....but why not? Why is a high quality piece from Germany ok, but not a high quality piece from Asia. I understand disdain for cheap junk coming from Asia....but powermatic saws are among the best you can buy today....similar to festool.

21 - 40 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.