Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,483 Posts
I have a 15" Jet I like

It's not this same one, but this one has good features. The motor is above which usually means the table stays at a fixed height which allows for same height in and outfeed tables. Unlike where the motor is underneath, like mine where then height of the table changes as you take more off each piece. I could be wrong on that, I donno?
the Jet has good power and is accurate. there are other planers and reviews on this link.... :thumbsup:

I also have this one but have zero hours on it and the price is the same as above:

·
where's my table saw?
31,483 Posts
pretty good reviews on this 5 stars all

Very heavy, and the reviewer states that Grizzly and Shop Fox phone numbers are associated with it. Check it out for the price .... seems like a great deal compared to the Dewalts at a similar price.

·
where's my table saw?
31,483 Posts
a different pouint of view here

I bought a lunch box Ryobi 13" planer. Used it twice. It's OK.
I have a 12" Foley Belsaw planer, used it hundreds of times, mostly cast iron and sturdy, sounds like a freight train when running, but planes smooth. I have a jet 15" planer, nice cast iron, 3 Hp runs smooth, planes smooth. I have a grizzly 20" 5 HP, used it once ....so far ... no room to really use it right now.

If I were to spend 8 hrs a day milling, planing and joining wood for a living I'd want the heaviest, most reliable and powerful machines I could AFFORD. If that meant buying old 3 phase machines and restoring them, that's what I'd do.

The 25 yr old Foley Belsaw was $300 like new, never operated and needed a new $200 Baldor motor. The Ryobi I bought on a whim on sale for taking to the job site...$200. The Jet was to be a "replacement" for the Foley, but it won't die, about $1200 on sale. The 20" Grizzly was on sale for about $1900.

To me it depends on 2 things, the budget and the type and duration of use, which may include portabilty. For example, my buddy who makes a living making raised panel doors 8 to 10 hours per day has only old cast iron, 3 phase machines, and really knows how to use and maintain them.

I appreciate the "buy American" idea, but it's hard to put that into practice in this "global" economy with even the trusted name brands being made/assembled in Mexico and other exotic places.
To each his own I guess.

·
where's my table saw?
31,483 Posts
Can you understand how some members have such a high post count that may not be helpful to anyone?:blink:
Just who did you have in mind as not being helpful here pal? Name names if you're gonna call out someone, and then wait for the mods to step in, if that's a big concern of yours. :blink:

If you have "helpful" advice post it. :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.