Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
310 Posts
My planer is old so my knowledge is second hand , in recent times worked with some (mostly retired) pros. they are moving away from Dewalt because of quality down grading, Rigid seems to be their new chose, especially with a lifetime warranty. Anyone have an opinion on Rigid tools?

·
Banned
310 Posts
The quality of a lot of equipment made in Asia is dictated by the companies having them made there not the people who make them. Those of us who are on a fixed income cannot go spending big time money on equipment, we make do with lesser quality and moderate our expectations of the equipment and work around the problems. I would love to have some stand alone top of the line equipment but money and room dictate differently.

·
Banned
310 Posts
I readily agree that not all Asian produced equipment Is poor, hence the comment that it is the companies quality requirements that dictate how good the manufacturing is. My point is that to only buy North American or German equipment is beyond the pocket of the majority. I recently replaced my old Craftsman fixed base Router with a combo set ($ 106 US) from Skil ( Bosch tool co.) and am totally impressed with the results, both freehand and in the table. It was made in Mexico.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Let me reiterate what I said before. In working life an aerospace engine machinist, Inspector, repair instruction writer, had the best equipment , used the best equipment including CNC Lathes, Mills,Plasms cutters etc.and wouldn't have had it any other way. Now retired and living on a pension. My Planer is an old Craftsman, my scroll saw is an old Delta, my TS a Delta, my Jointer is a Delta, my Compound Mitre saw is Mastercraft (any Canadian knows the quality of Can/Tire) .Are they what I would have as choice, no, they are what I can afford and what I have room for, nor would I have them if I was a professional, but would I suggest to anyone starting woodwork as a hobby to wait until they can afford high end professional equipment, never.

·
Banned
310 Posts
It was ( I think ) a discussion on planers, quality , affordability etc. unfortunately 2 someone has turned it into a tool snobbery contest and a personal attack dialogue. I wasenjoy

·
Banned
310 Posts
Repeat Iwas enjoying this Webb sight but not for pro American/ anti others politics , maybe time to move else where, people who blog are usually looking for help and ideas not Rah Rah political rhetoric. Maybe time to move on.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Ryan50 hri. As an x machinist I love equipment and admire the rebuilding of it but I do get your point. I don't know wether it is correct etiquette to mention names in on this forum but a good friend of mine uses ordinary wood ( usually Fir and Hemlock) and produces some stunning sculptures, check him out on the net.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.