Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen, I'm started to refinish several old dining tables and cedar chest. All have been abused and some are a victim of very old age.

Most of the owners are wanting the cracks/splits and missing knots replaced with stone inlays. The problem I'm running into is finding Super Glue in a larger size.

Does anybody know where I could buy it in quart sizes...I have looked everywhere I thought would carry it, but the biggest I've found so far is 2.5 oz.

Any help you guys can pass along will be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
That would quite expensive

Why not use clear epoxy:

·
7,222 Posts
Another +1 for epoxy.

In addition to working well for this situation, if you ever saw a price for a 1 Qt of CA glue, you would fall over.

Epoxy is not cheap, but it is far less expensive than CA glue.

CA is the chemical name for super glue, cyanoacryllate. Sold under a number of brand names, but all expensive.

I use CA glue to fill small cracks in wood turnings. For this purpose it can penetrate better than epoxy.

Filling a knot hole is a large area and I would use epoxy in such a situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help

I thought about Epoxy, but have heard that over time it will get a yellow tint to it instead of staying clear.

Have you guys had this happen to you.
I would really hate doing work for somebody and them come back in 2, 3, or 4 years unhappy with their table or hope chest.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Depends upon which resin and hardener combinations you use. Many are clear and remain clear forever. Check out System 3 epoxies, MAS epoxies, and contact them with questions about color change over time. Both are reputable manufacturers with good customer service, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have used clear epoxy to insert stones, shells, etc. into knot holes. No problems, no discoloration issues. Super glue is extremely rigid, I have used it to glue together small repairs in wood and had the bond crack when the wood expands. I wouldn't recommend it for what you intend. Just my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts