Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have the HF 2HP DC motor with a SDD. Setting up my new shop and starting from scratch, I want to get my dust collection done right. I'm thinking about increasing the pipe diameter from 5" at the sdd, to 6" so I can run 6" lines, and then reduce again for the 4" tubes. I want to use PVC pipes for my main runs.

Has anyone done this? Increase right at the sdd from 5" to 6"?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know if this is an option? Or do I need to use 5" galvanised or 4" for the whole system?

·
Registered
796 Posts
you will get higher velocities with 4" pipe, bigger pipe may trap solids at lower velocities
for the price of price of the sdd, i'd look at making a thien baffle

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hi guys, have the HF 2HP DC motor with a SDD. Setting up my new shop and starting from scratch, I want to get my dust collection done right. I'm thinking about increasing the pipe diameter from 5" at the sdd, to 6" so I can run 6" lines, and then reduce again for the 4" tubes. I want to use PVC pipes for my main runs.

I have the same set up and it works great.

You will save quite a bit of money using 2 -45's instead of a sweep 90 and a wye instead of a sanitary T.

you will get higher velocities with 4" pipe, bigger pipe may trap solids at lower velocities for the price of price of the sdd, i'd look at making a thien baffle
Not true if you have an adequate blower. And its less about velocity than static pressure and CFM's.

When I first set up my shop, I used 4" ducts with a 1 1/2HP 1100 CFM blower. The performance was dramatically improved when I went to 6" ducts.

I have a floor sweep that is 25 feet from the unit with a 9' rise it will suck small screws all the way to the cyclone.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have the same set up and it works great.

You will save quite a bit of money using 2 -45's instead of a sweep 90 and a wye instead of a sanitary T.
Did you use a 6-5" reducer, but in reverse? That's what I'm thinking of using so it becomes a 5-6" expander

·
Registered
767 Posts
Exactly. I got mine from Penn State Industries but I see they don't sell DC stuff anymore.

I think an HVAC fitting will work just fine. I recommend aluminum foil tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts