Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

I would start with cutting two plywood circles about 1½" narrower in diameter than the finished overall width. I would use one for the bottom, and one for the top, maybe 1½" down from the overall height.

Cut the outside pieces the length for the height, and use glue and a pin nail to mount it to the edges of the plywood circles. If you didn't want to use a pin nail, you could clamp them. Depending on how they look you may want to bevel their edges (coopered) for a tight fit, or, maybe not.

You could add weight to the top of the bottom circle. So, basically, the outside is covered with the sticks. On the top piece of plywood, which is recessed, cut short pieces 1½" to sit on top of the plywood, and be level with the outside pieces. Those can just be fitted in with a bit of glue.

If the bottom plywood is on the floor, use small nail in furniture glides (small button type) to space it off the floor.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Another Way

Using the same type of internal use of ¾" plywood circles that I already suggested, use 2 or 3. Take your wide lumber that you want to use, and cut it to the same length (the height). Then machine dadoes ¾" wide x ⅜" deep about 1" from the bottom and 1½" down from the top and somewhere in the middle (if you use 3) across the boards.

Then rip the boards to width. I looked at your sample table and it doesn't appear that they are coopered, as there is a defined space along the long edges. So, it may be unnecessary to bevel the long edges. Set the pieces on the plywood circles with glue. This would eliminate the use of mechanical fasteners. Then cut your short pieces to fill in the top.

When installing the pieces to the plywood, first stack the circles on top of each other and strike pencil lines for getting the outside pieces to line up on the plywood.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.