Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am purchasing some new machines and I want some assistance.
8" spiral head long bed jointer
13" planer- Dewalt maybe?
overarm vacuum system - Excaliber maybe, Shark Fin maybe?

ideas for good wood rack to screw to studs for horizontal woood storage?

I want ideas on brands and models for these machines.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Those are all good; but how on earth are we supposed to know what you need? For all we know, you need a lathe the most.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Reactions: Green Hornet

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a Dewalt DW735(x?) 13" planer about a year ago. It works very well. I have a local source for kiln dried, rough sawn hardwood and I've planed quite a bit of maple, cherry, oak and ash. The model with the suffix ( I think it is x + another letter) comes with the feed and run-out trays and an extra set of planer knives, although I'm still using the original knives. This planer uses three knives and the adjustments are easy and very accurate. I bought a cheaper dust collector made by Central Machinery from Harbor Freight and it does a nice job of collecting the shavings through the dust port on the Dewalt planer. I also bought some fittings for the dust collector from Rockler so I can use the dust collector on my table saw and router table.

I would recommend the Dewalt DW735. Check with Rockler before you buy. I didn't and could have gotten a free Dewalt palm router from Rockler for the same price as I paid for just the planer at Home Depot.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Oh and if you like the SC planer, dont buy it from Amazon. I just noticed they have it with a list price of over $1000 and have slashed the price to just over $650. Lol. The MSRP on this machine is $599.99. I paid $549.99 for mine a couple years ago at WoodCraft.:thumbsup:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
BassBlaster said:
Oh and if you like the SC planer, dont buy it from Amazon. I just noticed they have it with a list price of over $1000 and have slashed the price to just over $650. Lol. The MSRP on this machine is $599.99. I paid $549.99 for mine a couple years ago at WoodCraft.:thumbsup:
Amazon cracks me up some days....some things they're spot on....and others they're on crack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts