Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to resaw about 250 linear feet of 5/4x6" mahogany. What size bandsaw should i be looking at ? My budget is 1500-2000 dollars. I have a power feed already, is it feasible to use one on a project like this or is the feed speed way too slow for one ? I have never resawed before so any advice would be great.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
[url='http://pensacola.craigslist.org/tls/4133049854.html"] THIS [/url] will do it.

Still going to be a lot of work regardless of the saw.

I might look for a local shop to farm out the job instead of buying a new piece of equipment.

George

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
a 6" resaw is well within the limits

Almost any 14" bandsaw will resaw 6" stock. As far as the power feeder, it would make the job a lot easier, but the setup is critical to find the optimum feed rate and pressure. Bandsaw feeders are not the same as for a shaper or table saw. They operate in the vertical plane, rather than horizontally. Maybe you can rig one up, I donno?
The roller back up reduces the friction on what normally would be the fence.
See this example: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?61482-Bandsaw-power-feeder

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I need to resaw about 250 linear feet of 5/4x6" mahogany. What size bandsaw should i be looking at ? My budget is 1500-2000 dollars. I have a power feed already, is it feasible to use one on a project like this or is the feed speed way too slow for one ? I have never resawed before so any advice would be great.
With a budget like that you have some good choices. Check the stats of the choices to see what the resaw capacity is. You should tune up the saw to be operating correctly. Establish the appropriate fence, and use the correct blade.

Resawing can be done without a feeder. A regular power feeder could be used, but it's a bit bulky for use on a band saw. Here is a good video for setting up your bandsaw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wGbZqWac0jU

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
power feeders

The regular feeders for a tablesaw or shaper, being laid over horizontally, would have the pressure rollers just off the table surface and they have 3 or 4 in a line. That's not the best for a bandsaw where you want the pressure much higher against the fence or rollers for a tall resaw. You want to maintain inward pressure against the fence just as much as you need forward feed pressure. If the board tips away at the top, you've just ruined your work piece. Also the last roller of the set must still be ahead of the kerf so as not to squeeze the work and bind the blade.

I resaw all by hand feed, but I'm careful to maintain pressure at the top of the fence. A tall add on fence or a special tall resaw fence is the best.

Good threads for some examples:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/resaw-sled-7552/

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/bandsaw-resawing-16799/

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I am not sure the band saw is the right choice of tool for this operation. If you have a 3 hp 220v motor on your table saw, I'd use that and cut halfway through from each edge using a thin kerf blade. I would use a feather board to push the stock tight to the fence about six inches in front of the blade but I would not use a power feeder on this. Even though you will have to run each piece through twice (250 x 2 + 500 lin. ft.) it would only taker about an hour to complete this task. If you don't have a table saw then you should use the money to buy one.

Bret

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have a 3hp saw but i have to say, even if it was $250 for somebody to resaw these I'd gladly pay it. Who would I be looking for, a mill shop ?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If we weren't 3000 miles away from one another I would gladly offer to do the job for $250 for an hour of work.

I'm just curious why you do not want to just do it yourself?

Bret

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you can do that in an hour you must have some setup ! I probably will do it myself. That's how this conversation got started in the first place.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
5/4" x 6 ( net 1" x 5.5") s4s mahogany? 25/10' boards = 50 edges to cut, 500 lin feet. Figure each edge takes one minute, that's fifty minutes.

I could do it in one hour and have a cup of coffee. Or I could spend ten minutes cleaning up the sawdust I'd create. Nothing fancy about it.

What am I missing?

Maybe as a retired former professional woodworker (board grinder) the task doesn't seem as daunting as it might to a hobbiest? I don't know.

Bret

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
bandsaw OR table saw?

Bret, I agree and have similar advice:

You can use either. I assume you want to buy a bandsaw for this specific task OR do you want to use a table saw and make rips part way through, then flip the boards end for end?

I've done it both ways, but on a table saw you are limited to the maximum full blade height. On a bandsaw you are limited by the maximum height the upper guide can be located.

You said:
Chapstick I do have a 3hp saw but i have to say, even if it was $250 for somebody to resaw these I'd gladly pay it. Who would I be looking for, a mill shop ?

If it's a 3 HP table saw you have, just use a thin kerf rip blade, 24 Tooth and ..."let 'er rip and flip" each board end for end after each pass..... Or am I missing something?:smile:

The only issue with ripping on the tablesaw to maximum depth, is on the first pass, not all the way through, the saw dust may build up in the kerf and overheat the blade. BTDT.

BTW that 19" Grizzly is a great saw, I have one!
http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-3...-Brake/G0514XF

Reactions: Chapstick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you can resaw a ten foot piece of mahogany in under a minute ? That's amazing since everything i have read is saying one to two feet per minute is average. And 5/4 hardwood is 1.125". figured a man of your "expertise" would know that. Manners are free buddy. Maybe you should butt out of the conversation.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
So you can resaw a ten foot piece of mahogany in under a minute ? That's amazing since everything i have read is saying one to two feet per minute is average. And 5/4 hardwood is 1.125". figured a man of your "expertise" would know that. Manners are free buddy. Maybe you should butt out of the conversation.
It's not amazing, just what I expect my table saw will do. It's not a special saw. Oh, I said a minute per edge and each board has two edges, so I estimated two minutes to re-saw one ten foot board.

5/4 means the net thickness will be whatever the guy running the planer sets the thickness at.

And you are correct, I am an expert.

And, if offering my less experienced brethren the benefit of my experience is bad manners, then I am guilty.

You asked for advice then want me to butt out. ?

Bret

1 - 20 of 27 Posts