Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been thinking about building a Secretary Desk for a few years now and I’m just now trying to draw something in sketch up. I don’t have any dimensions or a plan yet so I was thinking about starting with the drawers and then designing the desk around the drawers.

I was thinking about the size and I decided to go to an office furniture store and look for some ideas instead of trying to come up with it on my own. If I find something I like, I’ll take some photos and dimensions. I have to figure out what I’m going to do for drawer slides as well. I know it’s a simple stupid thing, but I just don’t want to end up with an oversized drawer. I don't know if there is standards to follow for this sort of thing

·
Registered
268 Posts
Things could change a little depending on what type of file rails you use. Here's the rails I use on the bottom right Hanging File Rail With those, I need a drawer box with an inside dimensions of 12" wide and min 9" deep. The drawer front has to stick up past the drawer a min. of 1.5" but I normally like to keep it at 2".

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow Thanks J.C. :thumbsup:
It just never occurred to me to have the files sideways like that. Actualy that solves a lot of problems for me because I'm now not so limited by width.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I forgot to mention about slides. I normally use KV8505 for file drawers especially for larger lateral file drawers since they can get so heavy. I like to get them in black if used on nicer furniture since I think they look a little nicer than the anochrome. For smaller file drawers, I've used blum tandem undermounts without problems but the drawers do get a little taller to accommodate the drawer slides.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again that’s a great help. I have to say again that the sideways idea is going to work out great and now I’m glad I posted because I was thinking it was a stupid question as soon as I posted. I just never have seen a sideways file drawer before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts