Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All!

Been away fer awhile, but have been in the shop...:shifty:

Question regarding the pictured piece of staghorn sumac...

I'd like to turn this into a lamp base, but am obviously concerned about the mild checking.:laughing:

I'm wondering if this could be saved by casting?
Or should I just accept the fact that this is a pant-load of stopper/pen blanks in log form?

I can, and probably will, fill the smaller checks with CA.

I'd like to put some color in the big gap...

Any suggestions or advice?

If this could be saved/casted, would I need a big pressure pot, or better yet, send this to one of the exemplary casters present?:yes:

Thanks everybody!

p

·
7,222 Posts
That is a BIG gap. Very expensive to fill with epoxy.

A commerical product is called In-Lace. Not cheap. Nice appearance.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...=packard&Category_Code=proj-supp-inlay-inlace

Folks like cuerodoc grind up material and mix with epoxy. Even making your own material will be expensive.

Have you considered ripping some contrasting wood in 1/8in thick or thinner strips to glue into the gap with epoxy. Save on the cost of epoxy and could add the colour contrast you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Epoxy is cheaper than Inlace. However that is a big crack and will cost you a fair amount in epoxy to fix it. Dam up both ends with something that will stop the epoxy. I would color the epoxy before filling the gap. I use all sorts of things from paint to powdered chalk and/or shoe dye. If you have any more of that wood you could cut out a wedge to partially fill the crack. Then put your epoxy in and then put the wedge in. This will take less epoxy.
Personally I would cut it through the crack and turn whats left into box or spindle blanks. That's what I usually do to cracked wood now. I don't waste my time and money trying to save it as a big chunk anymore.

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys!:thumbsup:

I DO have baggies full of shavings and such that I could use as a filler, with epoxy...

Maybe a bunch of ERC..?

I like the idea of cutting a wood filler wedge, though the crack is not straight, and I'd end up spending a fair amount of time shaping to fit decently...:blink:

I've used inlace many times, and think that I be hard-pressed to convince myself to try it in that space.:no:

Again, I appreciate ya'll!

p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.