Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to solve a door issue for an apartment. Please click this link to see a picture of the doorway.

http://s17.postimg.org/pnf2emvq7/photo_copy.jpg

As you can tell, it's quite an awkward door frame. The peak is 83" and the break begins at about 75'". To further the issue, there is heavy duty molding around the base of the entryway.

One though was to put a sliding door on a track that runs along the wall. This is an issue because of said molding that also runs along the entire room.

Adding a standard door on a frame is out due to the landlord not wanting to modify the top arch.

So that pretty much leaves building a door from scratch considering I have had no luck finding anything of the sort online.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
7,222 Posts
Adding a standard door on a frame is out due to the landlord not wanting to modify the top arch.
You do not mention if this is cosmetic or security, as in it needs to be lockable.

Can you use a standard door and frame and a custom "spacer" to fill the space in the arch? This should be easy to design so that it can be removable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it was mine I would re drywall and put in a standard door. I don't even like the looks of it. As I see it your only choice would be a custom door frame and door. It will sure test your skills to build.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Since the landlord 'does not want his doorway modified I think you need to made a door to fit the opening.
Regardless, anything is going to damage some of the area and will need to be repaired before you move.

George

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
That is a tough one, what ever you do is going to cause some damage to the original finishing that will later have to be repaired. The purpose of the door, security, privacy, sound-proofing will come into play so it seems a bit more info is needed. A closet type folding door would provide privacy and be light enough to install without doing too much damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts